Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Difference is that argon is not being peacefully poured out of the TIG cup, it's being forced out under pressure in order to deliver a flow rate that ensures good coverage in spite of environmentals. The path of that flow generates its own turbulence, which the gas lens removes by getting everything flowing in the same direction at the same rate (laminar). This causes the stream to retain its shape for a much longer distance.
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I understand many people use pressure gauges to determine their shielding requirements so maybe that is where some of this is coming from. But once the argon reaches the cup, it is no longer under pressure compared to atmospheric pressure. So in a sense it is "pouring" from the cup. Unless your like my coworkers who think more is better!
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

I realize its a technical subject, so important to be precise with terms. Yes, the argon is ultimately exits the cup at 1ATM, but it's being forced out of the cup at a high rate and at a variety of angles, which generates turbulence. Which is what the gas lens is counteracting.

If you were to take a pitcher of argon and pour it through a #6 cup, gravity would not cause it to flow at the same 15CFH rate; that, combined with the lack of nozzle jets in the path, would yield low turbulence; but it would also be very fragile to environmental factors like the tiniest of drafts. The higher CFH helps overcome environmentals, but increases turbulence which the gas lens counteracts.

Using a more familiar example, water exiting a garden hose at a low flow rate will have a fairly glassy smooth surface, pointing down, that can be maintained for a good distance. Turn it horizontal, and it won't go far. Crank up the flow rate, and you can shoot it 20 feet, but it'll be turbulent and lack form. Put the same flow rate through a laminar jet, and it'll be glass-smooth for most of that 20 feet. Similar behavior with a gas lens.
Last edited by RichardH on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

@ Steve,
I found this statement about the Reynolds numbers very interesting when looking through the original patent for a gas lens, and how it got it's name.

US 3,053,968

"When gas lenses are employed, coherent-streams can be produced regardless of the Reynolds numbers of L/De value which have frequently been used in the past as mathematical specifications for flow conditions. Our findings are that such numbers do not insure laminar or nonturbulent flow, but rather they indicate a possibility for laminar flow. In laboratory tests, it was possible to obtain coherent-streaming distances of 3 to 6 inches under conditions which would correspond to Reynolds numbers of the order of 5000 and L/De ratios equal to zero. At the present time, there are strong indications that coherent-streaming through appreciable distances can be obtained at Reynolds numbers at least up to 15,000 with the aid of gas lenses.

It 'must be noted, however, that the calculation of Reynolds numbers applies only to a gas stream cross-section within conduit walls. Hence, when permeable barriers or gas lenses are used without a downstream conduit, e.g., L/DQEO, then Reynolds numbers do not apply.

From these tests it is apparent that the use of a special class of permeable barriers results in a degree of control over gas flow patterns far beyond that which could be obtained with conduits or nozzles. This special class consists of devices made from permeable materials which produce a relatively smooth and continuous distribution of gas velocities, in terms of both magnitude and direction, across the downstream surface of the permeable material even when gas is supplied to the barrier in a state of gross turbulence. Since these permeable barriers act on gas in much the same manner as a glass lens acts in shaping a beam of light, the analogous term gas lens has been applied to them by us."

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Braehill wrote:@ Steve,
I found this statement about the Reynolds numbers very interesting when looking through the original patent for a gas lens, and how it got it's name.

US 3,053,968

"When gas lenses are employed...

(seriously redacted)

From these tests it is apparent that the use of a special class of permeable barriers results in a degree of control over gas flow patterns far beyond that which could be obtained with conduits or nozzles. This special class consists of devices made from permeable materials which produce a relatively smooth and continuous distribution of gas velocities, in terms of both magnitude and direction, across the downstream surface of the permeable material even when gas is supplied to the barrier in a state of gross turbulence. Since these permeable barriers act on gas in much the same manner as a glass lens acts in shaping a beam of light, the analogous term gas lens has been applied to them by us."

Len
8-) LIKE ;)

Steve S
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm really surprised by the doubts some have had over these pictures. Since some don't like the claims by the companies here is a video of Jody that compares gas lens and regular collet. Results gas lens=better gas coverage period

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... -laps.html

As for arguing the mathematics its not even worth the effort really as I previously stated fluid dynamics mathematics gets confusing quick so this link will give you some of the equations if you really want to sort threw the crap and get a doctors degree in physics :geek: If that the case you can start here with these equations beginning with the formula are ready quoted previously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics

Now to cut threw the bull to those that just want to weld. :shock: If you want better gas coverage get a GAS LENS they don't cost much more if we need to worry about that small added cost, we would all be wiping our bums with corn cobs to save on toilet paper cost :lol:

+1 Braehill Good Job
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
dirtmidget33

My previous post sounded a little harsh after I reread it. It was not meant to offend anyone so don't take it the wrong way
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.

dirtmidget33 wrote:My previous post sounded a little harsh after I reread it. It was not meant to offend anyone so don't take it the wrong way
Harsh?

Perhaps "passionate" is a better description.

We sometimes sidetrack into theory, and it can get deep, but your simple analysis of "Gas lens equals better coverage" cannot be disputed, wherever the math may lead.

Steve S
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

dirtmidget33 wrote:My previous post sounded a little harsh after I reread it. It was not meant to offend anyone so don't take it the wrong way
Certainly no offense taken here. Robust discussion and the chance to receive multiple viewpoints from other experts makes for a better result, always. ;)
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

TRACKRANGER wrote:
Certainly no offense taken here. Robust discussion and the chance to receive multiple viewpoints from other experts makes for a better result, always. ;)
Okay, there's another "LIKE".

I'm seeing value in changing our "ranking" system from a "post count" to a quality-based system...

Just thinking out loud...

Steve S
dirtmidget33

TRACKRANGER wrote: Certainly no offense taken here. Robust discussion and the chance to receive multiple viewpoints from other experts makes for a better result, always. ;)
I never claim to be an expert at anything. Matter of fact anytime someone claims to be an expert they loose me. To me an expert means you know every possible thing on a given subject including abstract variables. Therefore I don't believe anyone can be an expert just either experienced or knowledgeable of subject ;)
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Not offended here either.
I didn't completely agree worth a post, so offered my opinion. But long story short, I like using a gas lens, seems to have better coverage for me.

@steve,
let's not go for quality, I don't want to be bumped back to new member :D

I for one think just because we've established a 50+ year old fact is no reason to being pat ourselves on the back.

Gas lens equal better gas cover, I've always agreed with that, but I still have a bin full of small standard collet bodies and small cups. Reason being, real estate, sometimes just being able to get to what needs welded outweighs the gas coverage factor. So I'm not ready to throw mine away just yet. A #4 gas lens is the same size around as a #10 standard cup at the top. Just another tool in the shed in my mind, they all have their place.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Just to let you guys know, the staging that takes place to make the gas flow visible is usually a fine oil mist added to the gas. It does change the density slightly but the flow characteristics should be consistent if they use it in both torches.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:Just to let you guys know, the staging that takes place to make the gas flow visible is usually a fine oil mist added to the gas. It does change the density slightly but the flow characteristics should be consistent if they use it in both torches.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah-haa!
Fine oil mist. Now we're getting somewhere. That really does makes sense. (And at the start I was thinking 'smoke and mirrors' - shame on me...)
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

Braehill wrote:@steve,
let's not go for quality, I don't want to be bumped back to new member :D
Len
@len
Regardless of the way things are ranked, I somehow doubt your status would change, unless of course it went up!

Ranger,
Thanks for the kind words.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Informative Discussion
Who ever thought Physics could be interesting,guess there was a reason in High school to pay attention
I use gas lens once I discovered benefits, There is/are still places only a regular will do(fit)[
Attachments
DSCN0569.JPG
DSCN0569.JPG (56.27 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

" if we need to worry about that small added cost, we would all be wiping our bums with corn cobs to save on toilet paper cost :lol: "

@ dirtmidget, you almost drowned my keyboard ! :D

On a serious note, there have been occasions on aluminum where I have found it easier to control the puddle and edge burning by going from a #6 gas lens to a standard #5 cup. This was on inverter machines.

Anyone else experienced this or have suggestions why this is ? Thanks.
dirtmidget33

@ Kiwi2wheels this is just for you :lol:
1005141530[1].jpg
1005141530[1].jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Dad always claimed that as kids they had to eat all the kernals off the cob so they could reuse the cob for butt wipes. He was full of it they never had to do this, but this year when the field was harvested I put this in his bathroom so he could relive his childhood.
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Anyone who's tig welded knows a gas lens is nicer for "SOME" things...

After that its all personal preference. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

kiwi2wheels wrote:" if we need to worry about that small added cost, we would all be wiping our bums with corn cobs to save on toilet paper cost :lol: "

@ dirtmidget, you almost drowned my keyboard ! :D

On a serious note, there have been occasions on aluminum where I have found it easier to control the puddle and edge burning by going from a #6 gas lens to a standard #5 cup. This was on inverter machines.

Anyone else experienced this or have suggestions why this is ? Thanks.

Lots of guys tig alum with a #3 or #4 cup......
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I usually weld with whatever cup the last guy left on the machine... :roll:

Steve S
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, one less thing to think about.

File under " Don't sweat the small stuff " :)
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

I have been pretty much welding everything with a gas lens and a #6 cup.

AL
SS
Cold Rolled steel etc.

I find getting used to doing all thickness, shape and types of materials with one set up has contributed to my being a better welder since i have to work more on technique (stickout, angle material placement etc).

the most challenging welds for me so far have been on tubing, those are a bitch.