Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey guys I have all kinds of SS fill rod but it's ALL 308L/309/316L and I'm buying some 304 SS tomorrow....I can use 308L to weld that right?! Or do I need to get 308? I really don't wanna have to go buy more fill rod just for this job. But any expertise on this would be great. I normally use 304L so I normally use 308L. Thanks in advance
DUNN96
    Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 am

Hi mate, I believe your 308L will be fine. Even a 316 filler would work.

Cheers
simondk
    Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 pm

As long as it High , do you self a fever for all 301,302 304 304l, 316,316l use 316l rod skip the rest, just have one :)
Last edited by simondk on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon j.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Adam,
I don't see why the use of the lower carbon 308 wouldn't be fine unless the weld is to be placed in a service that requires it to be at full tensile strength, the carbon adds a little strength.

Please don't take advice from anybody who tells you there's a one size fits all rod for welding stainless. It's always best to refer to a welding rod selection chart or you'll likely get unfounded statements based on wive's tales.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

simondk wrote:As long as it High , do you self a fever for all 301,302 304 304l, 316,316l use 316l rod fuck the rest, just have one :)
open public form emphatic words not needed
This is not a back room beer session
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

rick9345 wrote:
simondk wrote:As long as it High , do you self a fever for all 301,302 304 304l, 316,316l use 316l rod fuck the rest, just have one :)
open public form emphatic words not needed
This is not a back room beer session
It was noted. I didn't comment, as I'm occasionally guilty of "emphasis", but under the circomstances, your point is taken.

Also, 316 is not always the appropriate rod for 304.

Steve S
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

The project I got is a SS tank for bead sealer...I did a valve swap off the bottom of one of these tanks a few months back. They do put a little pressure in them but nothing more than 10psi I don't think. I thought the 308L would be just fine, but my chart said it should be str8 308, and wondered if 309 would be better. 316 is a bit stronger than the material so I don't think I'm really going that route plus it's expensive. I'd rather fixing a cracked weld rather that repairing a crack caused by the extra strength of the weld. I hate doing these tanks cuz I have to scrape the bead sealer out an it takes for ever! But I need some money so that is my only complaint about it. Btw just to clarify it was stabbed with a fork from a forklift so....shouldn't be too bad if I can get it bend back nice or cut out a patch bend a new patch hot tack and weld that beast! The local shop they have taken them too charges a crazy amount and has a wait list so long they asked me to do it. Total winning! Thanks guys for consistently helping me
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Do you eat with that mouth too? :oops:

I'm a firm believer in having as many different fillers as possible.
Many times the customer will have a specific procedure in mind
and require a specific filler. If you decide to say "fornicate it" and
use the filler you want you could end up not getting paid or worse.
Maybe even in a lawsuit.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Not trying to hijack the thread but like in this situation where someone may have multiple types of filler, how does everyone store their filler?
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

dsmabe wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread but like in this situation where someone may have multiple types of filler, how does everyone store their filler?
10# cartons stacked in a corner. 1# tube per type for portability, filled with assorted sizes.

Just ordered some Rod Guard 1# tubes, and wishing they came in more colors. Blue is readily available, red much less so. Apparently it used to be offered in yellow and orange, maybe others. Oddly, they seem to have a corner on the market for rod tubes, or there's not enough market for a competitor...
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

When would 316Lsi not be a good choice?
Reason for asking is thats the only ss rods I have, and the only ones I can get from the. 3 stores in town selling it.

And please go easy on my danish brother. In viking lands we usually get away with foul language outside the back room beer sessions. ;)
Different culture, different standards
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

AndersK,
316 is more prone to hot short cracking when welding 301-304 stainless than 308/308L. On a very ridged structure this would be a problem. High pressure tubing and socket welds can suffer from this also.

It's more corrosion resistant than 308 and if that's important, then by all means use it. But it's not a one size fits all rod, that was my point, that's all. Problem is we get people on here that have a favorite rod and recommend them for things that they're not well suited which leads young welders astray, that's not the mission here.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

During an open and frank difference of opinions :twisted: about the " 316 for all ", I came across this info ;

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... etail.aspx

and pages 18/19/20 on this ;

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... c64000.pdf
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I think most could agree to use the appropriate filler for the job at hand. But in my case, so far, I've only dealt with mild steel and 304 stainless. So my interpretation from those charts, I could get away with just having 309 filler. But at the same time I'd like to have a wide selection on hand for whatever may come about.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I'd personally use 308L should be fine for that application.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
simondk
    Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 pm

I apologize, it was not to offend anyone, some language and culture barrier.
Thank to Swede brother help to smooth out.

Back to topic
all the places I have worked, we have always used 316l thread, I have nearly only work with stainless, starting with food and now Pharma.
I talk with EWT also ask one EWI and thet all say the same just use 316l and you home save.
Reasons to local welding shop, normally say that it's not good, is because they can sell more.
But not for all SS only for what list up, you wil get a better and cleaner weld.

And somebobby there wil put more cabon in to SS do not care about intergranular corrosion.
Simon j.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Braehill wrote:AndersK,
316 is more prone to hot short cracking when welding 301-304 stainless than 308/308L. On a very ridged structure this would be a problem. High pressure tubing and socket welds can suffer from this also.

It's more corrosion resistant than 308 and if that's important, then by all means use it. But it's not a one size fits all rod, that was my point, that's all. Problem is we get people on here that have a favorite rod and recommend them for things that they're not well suited which leads young welders astray, that's not the mission here.

Len
Thanks Len, good information there
I like to learn why certain rods fits better or worse in different applications rather than just reading a table whats recommended for different materials.
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

AndersK wrote:
Thanks Len, good information there
I like to learn why certain rods fits better or worse in different applications rather than just reading a table whats recommended for different materials.
If it's any help...
You could use the schaeffler diagram, to learn what properties your filler rod would give the weld.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

simondk wrote:I apologize, it was not to offend anyone, some language and culture barrier.
Thank to Swede brother help to smooth out.

Back to topic
all the places I have worked, we have always used 316l thread, I have nearly only work with stainless, starting with food and now Pharma.
I talk with EWT also ask one EWI and thet all say the same just use 316l and you home save.
Reasons to local welding shop, normally say that it's not good, is because they can sell more.
But not for all SS only for what list up, you wil get a better and cleaner weld.

And somebobby there wil put more cabon in to SS do not care about intergranular corrosion.

No offense taken.

For food-grade, 316 is a very common rod.

Steve S