Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Chrisjw1983
    Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm still in the early stages of learning to TIG so doing little projects like a torch holder. Making it out of 5mm stainless 304 round bar.

My question - When I weld two pieces parallel to each other i.e. down the valley between them, I get a really dull finish around the whole of both rods. I believe this is the Chromium going dull as there isn't enough argon covering it? I'm using 1/16th tungsten at 50 amps (wondering if this is too high) with a gas lens and #7 cup with 12cfh. Filler is 308L doing lay wire and sweeping motion between each side of the valley. I've got the piece mounted out the side of a vice so wondering if I'm just not getting the gas coverage around the whole piece.

Any suggestions?
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I normally run about 20 cfh. @ 12 cfh any draft where your welding could blow away your shielding gas.
How long does it take you to establish the arc and get a puddle started? If it's taking more than a few seconds then your probably too cold.
Chrisjw1983
    Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:08 pm

I'll up my gas level and see. Was taking more than a second to get going so bumped it up to 60 and does flow better.

I also put the piece more into the vice rather than hanging out the side which helped a lot and then just wire brushed the weld straight after. Finished with a scrotch brite pad. It's not amazing but it's functional and been some good practice:
IMG_1402.jpg
IMG_1402.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Thanks for the advice!