Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
doscazadores
    Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:28 pm

I finally managed to carve out some time (hobby welder for many years, mainly mig) to learn to tig stainless. Got a lot of 304L scrap but it looks like its been sitting a barnyard of a bunch of busy cows for a few years. Photo attached, if I can figure out how to do it.
The left side is how I got it, the right side is after rubbing it out a little using Barkeepers Helper; it's all I could think to use.
I assume the welding surface should be as clean as possible. But what's the best way to achieve that condition?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Attachments
IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG (114.68 KiB) Viewed 677 times
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

wipe down with Acetone.
Wear rubber gloves.
You could wire brush and then wipe if really concerned about the crud.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I would clean it up with some scotch brite, since it sounds like you have a lot to do I'd get some scotch brite discs and mount in your die grinder or drill. Clean the crud off with them, then wipe with acetone until the rag doesn't show signs of dirt
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

DSM8 wrote:wipe down with Acetone.
Wear rubber gloves.
Be sure to put the rubber gloves on in slow motion and sing high while you're doing it! :D
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

450dualsport wrote:
DSM8 wrote:wipe down with Acetone.
Wear rubber gloves.
Be sure to put the rubber gloves on in slow motion and sing high while you're doing it! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan
FSU58
    Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:31 am

You can pick up flap disk sanding wheels for any size angle grinder fairly cheap at your local weld supply shop or hardware store. They work well for metal prep prior to welding, just make sure you dedicate that wheel for stainless only. Write stainless on it with a sharpie so you don't sand some carbon steel with it one day and contaminate your stainless with it the next time you use it. Good luck with the practice!