Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

I have a project that I'm going to bevel and Tig weld some outside corner joints. This is hot rolled steel 2"x2"x .250 wall. Going to miter the corners. Since the corners are beveled do I run the amperage at .125 wall amperage or still at .250 amperage? Also, if I didn't bevel the corner, do you think 250 amps would one pass weld the corner? New guy! As always, thank you for your time!
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
    Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Do you have a foot pedal? If so set the max amps you are going to use in the project and vary the amps needed for each section with the pedal. When it puddles right quick, you are good to go.

Take with grain of salt...I'm a beginner too! :D
Check out my journey through welding school https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJWQmJ ... aTma2q31Qg

Thx Prebres! Was hoping to get an answer about the 250 amp ability to do a one pass weld with good penetration on the 2x2x.250 wall hot rolled tubing.
Everlast 250EX
Everlast Plasma60
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Are you just wanting to do a single pass, or is there a specific reason behind it?

If a single pass will make a solid strong weld that would be great. I'm looking for the most efficient but strong route. I have 250 amps available so if its possible I would like to use all the power. :lol: I have two pieces of the tubing coming together at a 60 degree angle. I have a inside filet joint, 2 side joints 90 degree sharp edge to curved edge type and a butt joint. Sorry I don't know what you call the side joints that are a sharp edge at the end of the tubing to a curved edge ( outside of the tubing ). Its all .250 wall tubing.
Everlast 250EX
Everlast Plasma60
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

If I'm understanding correctly what you mean, the joint is a lap joint.
As far as what amperage, if you have a foot pedal, turn your amps all the way up and vary with the pedal. Some places might do fine while others might get away from you, burn through, undercut, etc.
I'm still learning myself, most of my experience is butt welding steel .032-.105 no filler, and aluminum alloys .045-.140 with 1/8 4043 filler.

Thanks for the advice. I should of explained like this. Take a piece of hot rolled steel tubing and put the end against the side of another piece. That blunt end against the curved side wall is the two side joints I have to weld together. There is a small gap. I mittered the two pieces to make a 60 degree corner. So I have an inside corner joint that matches tight together. The two side joints and a tight butt joint opposite the inside corner joint. Like I said all .250 wall. I was hoping to ramp up the TIG welder and make one good penetrating pass on the tight inside corner joint and the opposite tight butt weld. Wasn't sure if that one high amp pass would be enough on those tight joints to weld them solid. So before I went and messed up my metal I thought I would ask for any suggestions. I need pics. ha
Everlast 250EX
Everlast Plasma60