Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
drummerwelder856
    Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:55 pm

so last week was my 1st time tigging and i guess i must be a natural like my teacher tells me cause i don't know much be i can stick and tig weld on pipe!! so at the end of the week of my 1st week i ask my teacher cud i do a test 6g, 2inch sch 80 i think the pipe was! Tig Root & Tig Hot, and 7018 stick all way out.. and wud u believe this i passed the test, my teacher is a Welding Inspector he told me that if i was to go take the test today i would pass as a code welder with flying colors!!! i never weld ever in my life!! i started school the sept 8 2014 with the stick class 1st for 8wks and now I'm in the tig class for 5wks.. i payed out of pocket $9k to become a Combo welder and it will all pay off for me plus ill get the money back in a month, and if i have time left I'm gonna learn how to weld down hill for free, just in case i have a pipeline job or something!! but I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT IM IN THE BROTHERHOOD OF WELDERS!!!!

so heres a couple of pics of my 1st wk of tigging and the test i did at the end of the week!! and also a pic of my 6g stick test 6010 root and 7018 3/32 2in pipe sch 80!!! tell me wit y'all think!!

and if ur from NJ and looking for a school look up (Elite Welder Testing & Training school) South New Jersey
the best teacher you ever know!!!
Attachments
this was my Tig and Stick 6g test CAP Stick 3/32 wire..
this was my Tig and Stick 6g test CAP Stick 3/32 wire..
IMG_2586.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Tig Root in 6g position.. alil blurry sorry, but it was very good i had great push thru ran at 90amps
Tig Root in 6g position.. alil blurry sorry, but it was very good i had great push thru ran at 90amps
IMG_2591.jpg (90.07 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
end of stick class final test, 6g Sch 80 2inch pipe 6010 root 7018 3/32 wire, this is the CAP
end of stick class final test, 6g Sch 80 2inch pipe 6010 root 7018 3/32 wire, this is the CAP
IMG_2563.JPG (30.66 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Tig Weld Cap 1/8 wire Carbon pipe 1st wk in class
Tig Weld Cap 1/8 wire Carbon pipe 1st wk in class
IMG_2581.jpg (67.63 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Very nice welds indeed!! Looks like you do in fact have a future in welding. I hve a question though. Your instructor said you could pass a code test and you will be in. Did your pipe shown pass x-ray? Don't take this the wrong way as I am curious and don't want false hope for anyone. If he is basing you passing off visual than you are good, however most (all) code shops require a x-ray test.
And welcome to the brotherhood!!!
-Jonathan
drummerwelder856

[quote="Superiorwelding"]Very nice welds indeed!! Looks like you do in fact have a future in welding. I hve a question though. Your instructor said you could pass a code test and you will be in. Did your pipe shown pass x-ray? Don't take this the wrong way as I am curious and don't want false hope for anyone. If he is basing you passing off visual than you are good, however most (all) code shops require a x-ray test.
-Jonathan[/quote

thanks a lot?? i didn't meaning it in that way of i cud past a Xray, i meant to say that he is training us to be a CODE Welders by the Book.. so thats my mistake!! i have only past bend test soo far haven't got Xray yet!!
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

I couldnt see that root very well ( out of focus). But hey, It looks good...
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Since your in that area. Do you know anything about Egg harbor TWP.
I was looking into Viking Yachts for AL TIG. Let me know if you know anything about them
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

drummerwelder856 wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:Very nice welds indeed!! Looks like you do in fact have a future in welding. I hve a question though. Your instructor said you could pass a code test and you will be in. Did your pipe shown pass x-ray? Don't take this the wrong way as I am curious and don't want false hope for anyone. If he is basing you passing off visual than you are good, however most (all) code shops require a x-ray test.
-Jonathan
thanks a lot?? i didn't meaning it in that way of i cud past a Xray, i meant to say that he is training us to be a CODE Welders by the Book.. so thats my mistake!! i have only past bend test soo far haven't got Xray yet!!
While I have never taken a x-ray test, I have seen a few weldors pass visual and not x-ray. I believe from what I see you will be fine. Again, I don't mean this comment bad in any way. Good job on passing your bend test!!
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Your a good man drummer!! Image
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
drummerwelder856

Superiorwelding wrote:
drummerwelder856 wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:Very nice welds indeed!! Looks like you do in fact have a future in welding. I hve a question though. Your instructor said you could pass a code test and you will be in. Did your pipe shown pass x-ray? Don't take this the wrong way as I am curious and don't want false hope for anyone. If he is basing you passing off visual than you are good, however most (all) code shops require a x-ray test.
-Jonathan
While I have never taken a x-ray test, I have seen a few weldors pass visual and not x-ray. I believe from what I see you will be fine. Again, I don't mean this comment bad in any way. Good job on passing your bend test!!
-Jonathan
thanks a lot bro, i just want to get out there and make money and become the best welder i can be!!!
drummerwelder856

hacadacalopolis wrote:Since your in that area. Do you know anything about Egg harbor TWP.
I was looking into Viking Yachts for AL TIG. Let me know if you know anything about them
nah i don't really know anything bout them, ur best bet will be to come check out the school i go to.. http://weldertrainingsouthjersey.com trust me u won't be disappointed!!!
drummerwelder856

AKweldshop wrote:Your a good man drummer!! Image
thanks a lot bro I'm trying to get there, I'm not good yet 2yrs ill be where i need to be!!!!
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Looks good, I'm guessing this is a full time (all day) type welding program. Advice when you get in the field. Humble yourself. Don't have an ego and seek and be grateful for for all advise and critique. Not only will it help you get better, it will help you make a good reputation. You don't want to get blacklisted at the young cocky kid who thinks he knows it all.
drummerwelder856

soutthpaw wrote:Looks good, I'm guessing this is a full time (all day) type welding program. Advice when you get in the field. Humble yourself. Don't have an ego and seek and be grateful for for all advise and critique. Not only will it help you get better, it will help you make a good reputation. You don't want to get blacklisted at the young cocky kid who thinks he knows it all.
thanks a lot for the invite bro, I'm always humble and I'm thankful for the opportunity I'm getting.. all i want to do is weld and be the best i can be at the craft!!! and the good thing is i know nothing bout welding so, being cocky is not in my lane at all!!! the program is a 12wk stick and Tig pipe course 5days a week and only 5hrs a day...
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

drummerwelder856 wrote:
soutthpaw wrote:Looks good, I'm guessing this is a full time (all day) type welding program. Advice when you get in the field. Humble yourself. Don't have an ego and seek and be grateful for for all advise and critique. Not only will it help you get better, it will help you make a good reputation. You don't want to get blacklisted at the young cocky kid who thinks he knows it all.
thanks a lot for the invite bro, I'm always humble and I'm thankful for the opportunity I'm getting.. all i want to do is weld and be the best i can be at the craft!!! and the good thing is i know nothing bout welding so, being cocky is not in my lane at all!!! the program is a 12wk stick and Tig pipe course 5days a week and only 5hrs a day...
Good on ya!

You'd be stunned at how many kids (I'm in my late 40's, so take "kids" in perspective...) come out of a welding school thinking they're masters, rather than workforce students.

Welding is a learning process until you quit or die.

Steve S
drummerwelder856

Otto Nobedder wrote:
drummerwelder856 wrote:
Good on ya!

You'd be stunned at how many kids (I'm in my late 40's, so take "kids" in perspective...) come out of a welding school thinking they're masters, rather than workforce students.

Welding is a learning process until you quit or die.

Steve S
Hey Steve, yea i understand that, im humble and that attitude is not for me, I'm looking to learn learn learn, and get a lot of experience under my belt, all i want to do is work, i can't wait to start working soon!!! its just so much to explore with welding...