Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Dear friends, season greeting to all , I'm esenti so i thought to ask or talk about the time it takes to start adding feeler rod .
What is it in seconds 3~4 more or less?. I think I saw it somewhere but I thought to talk it a bit more . Is it any difference in Aluminum or steel ? . We speak something the closest proximity perhaps since there are not standards in it. I think if it takes long you are far out , opinions are welcomed .
Esenti .
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I weld steel and steel/309 wire and can afford a bit of time (not distance) before adding rod. (Weld repairs only) but I understand you need to get on with it when welding alum due to hot short cracking (??)
ESENTI

Experienced welders have it instinctively , I speak the time in relation with right amperage set up , not the time you take to take care specific needs when you prepare a crack or you need to warm up a piece to weld when its thick .
For a normal situation if you have the right amperage how long is the right time to melt the base metal ?.( as a rule of thump , general )
Esenti
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I can't give a time, as I always watch the pool to ensure things are happening as they should. I find the biggest difference comes where there is a different of less than perfect torch position. Perfect it may only take 3 seconds to get a pool on 10mm plate at 170 amps but jammed under an obstruction, with less than perfect vision, it could be nearly 10 with those same parameters. Although, if things arnt working within 10, I stop and re- position.
ESENTI

I have friend that asks me how much ampere i should set for each job ! .So i thought to tell him if it will not melt in 3 to 4 seconds you are out of right amperage . The same goes with the right gas flow setting i believe if in 3 to 4 stops of welding
you notice that the tungsten grind is burned or has lost its shape enough then the gas flow is little ( in DC mode ) , what about this . Will this be enough for a clever beginner ?.
ESENTI

To welding mike , by your writing you seem an experienced welder and i understand your saying ,there is no rule how soon it will melt as long you belong to advanced users.If you weld a very thin material then it has to be a significant delay so when the
piece will get some heat so it will not make a hole or burned , this is even more important when the piece is very small so
the heat will rise very quickly and will be hot thereafter at each start .
sigfreed14
    Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:30 am

With alum Tig what I do is hold the torch up away from the metal, flor the foot pedal to get the gas flowing. then with the argon flowing bring the torch down to tha metal then stomp the pedal HI FRE start when the puddle mergesis back of the .amps quick till you see the tungsten clear in the shine of the puddle. start dabbing quick . this all takes about 4 seconds once you bring the torch bellow your sholder. good luck , I worked for aluinimun fabricated products in perry one FL one of the Largiest manufactur of aluinimun boat fule tanks in the world. o if the sides of the well are orange in color back of the heat some your to hot , you want a clear shine puddle . YABA DABA DO.