Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I run the stubby gas lens kit on my 17 torch, accepts the same nozzles as a #20. I'm using I believe 53N consumables, does anyone make a nozzle larger then #8?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

CK worldwide has 2AG10 that would be 5/8 listed in there catalog. Page 56 bottom of page under heading "Series 4 stubby torches 17,18,26"

Catalog link
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... _WcNKeaxPA

Catalog list lots of other cool combinations.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I made my own

ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Season Greetings to all , Oscar well done it is very interesting , do you know if it is possible to cut alumina ceramic nozles with a diamond wheel used to cut tiles like the ones used in bothroom walls.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

ESENTI I would imagine you could, but you wouldn't be able to use much pressure and you'd have to be very careful clamping it in the vise.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
ESENTI

Greintime thank you Im thinking it will be not easy , I already try to locate #10 nozzle but it is not easy when you are in Greece.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Rick,
I have a Champagne cup that's 1 1/8" that's white, not sure what it's made of though, I think it's from Tec Torch if I remember right. Sam bought a kit of larger pyrex cups from dogfab.com ( furrick cups that Jody was using in the later videos), I haven't tried them yet but he makes a Titanium ring to protect the larger one. Then if you want to put your pickup up as collateral there's always Toxic-Fab's cups. There's one from Speedway called the Vortex that looks cool, I think it's Aluminum.

That's just some that I can think of, other than that the 5/8 that was mentioned earlier is about the biggest.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

ESENTI wrote:Season Greetings to all , Oscar well done it is very interesting , do you know if it is possible to cut alumina ceramic nozles with a diamond wheel used to cut tiles like the ones used in bothroom walls.
nope, don't know.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ESENTI wrote:Season Greetings to all , Oscar well done it is very interesting , do you know if it is possible to cut alumina ceramic nozles with a diamond wheel used to cut tiles like the ones used in bothroom walls.
ESENTI,

I've used simple corborundum wheels to grind down a ceramic cup (the normal pink ones). I shortened a #4 standard cup (for a -24 torch) by more than half by patiently grinding it on the bench-grinder. This, combined with a short back-cap, gave me an overall length from cap to tungsten tip of 30mm. I'd need a micro-torch to go shorter.

I used an old torch head with a collet-body in it as my holder to grind it. I did this three years ago, and still use the shorty cup when the need arises.

Steve S
Rick_H

Oscar nice work...you obviously have too much time...lol

I've seen the Champagne nozzles etc, not sure I need something like that so I'll order some of the CK's standard 10 and see how they are.

Len- I saw that Vortex cup, kinda funky design. I like the Toxic Fab Ti cups and the cool guy part of me wants one, but the practical guy tells me can't justify the cost.

I switch between my Maxstar 150 with a stubby setup and a Syncro 350LX...so its nice to share some consumables, although recently I've only ruined cup by dropping the torch or walking the cup and grinding it down.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
ESENTI

Steve S , thank you I will have this in mind , all these large gas lenses are so nice but costly , so I thinking if could do something of several large gas lenses I have to shorten to stubby . It is only an Idea but I working on it , I need also the tap thread and a die for this , its 3/8 32threads per Inch it will take time with uncertain success these ck large gas lenses I wonder if they worth it and work well in action for general use .
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Have a look at this, apparently the guy ground down the standard 8 gas lens shroud and screwed the gas lens in from the outside. Instant (sort of) big cup.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1419928798811.png
uploadfromtaptalk1419928798811.png (289.8 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
uploadfromtaptalk1419928781463.png
uploadfromtaptalk1419928781463.png (217.82 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
ESENTI

The idea is nice but whatever you gain form the large diameter you loose it form the threaded side causing turbulanse.

I think it worked pretty well. But he must be in a remote area or it was on a Sunday, as its not too exotic to warrant the muck around.
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Why not just buy some large gas lens and a 12 or 15 cup?
These are not too expensive and relatively easy to find in Greece.
If you have trouble finding them you can always order them from ebay or some internet welding supplier.
If you must have a stubby the cheapest I have found is this one at 36$.
https://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=9555
I have bought it and although it sort of does the job the biskets can't handle high amperages at all.
ESENTI

Taz ,cool as you say , still it is 11dollars aprox each sold in 10ths. But I will look for cheaper it is sold in 2 pieces somewhere.
I'm working on it thank you though for your suggestion it is what i was looking for.I am thinking if i could do something on the
lathe from aluminum.

River-weld on ebay. Cheap low end stuff.
ESENTI

After endless hours I have found this 53N87 and 53N88 which is #10 and # 12 , at you area is weldingcity at Europe I choose
rapid weld from England . This is pleasing and fast otherwise will be china that takes time ...I could not resist to a nice large
diameter gas lens . http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/Cat ... &zl=3&sq=4 It was a some time now a strong desire . So Happy new year 2015 every body ,with good welds .

ESENTI wrote:After endless hours I have found this 53N87 and 53N88 which is #10 and # 12 , at you area is weldingcity at Europe I choose
rapid weld from England . This is pleasing and fast otherwise will be china that takes time ...I could not resist to a nice large
diameter gas lens . http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/Cat ... &zl=3&sq=4 It was a some time now a strong desire . So Happy new year 2015 every body ,with good welds .
That will require the use of a large diameter gas lens. I thought the OP was looking for standard gas lens cups?
Rick_H wrote:Oscar nice work...you obviously have too much time...lol
Hey I made that in summer. I have ~3months straight vacation in summer :)
Rick_H

Correct I've already made that mistake once and bought 87s and 88s.

In was trying to minimize the amount of consumables I carry so something I could quickly swap on my torch. It's not a need but I'd like something a little larger with my sanitary pipe. Guess I'll have to decide if I want a champagne setup or maybe sweet talk the machinest at work to make me one....wonder how much a small piece of Ti would cost me.

Found grade 2 Ti round stock in McMaster Carr, think I'm going to go that route, a 6" piece of 1.25 is around $64.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:Correct I've already made that mistake once and bought 87s and 88s.

In was trying to minimize the amount of consumables I carry so something I could quickly swap on my torch. It's not a need but I'd like something a little larger with my sanitary pipe. Guess I'll have to decide if I want a champagne setup or maybe sweet talk the machinest at work to make me one....wonder how much a small piece of Ti would cost me.

Found grade 2 Ti round stock in McMaster Carr, think I'm going to go that route, a 6" piece of 1.25 is around $64.
I can make you one of those #10s easily. I ordered a multi-pack from weldingcity.com and have left over screen mesh and what not. Let me know if interested.

Funny you mentioned machining. Just ordered a 3-in-1 lathe/mill/drill from Smithy....and then with summer just around the corner, who knows what kind of mega cup with integrated trailing-shield I will conjure up.....:)
ESENTI

This is the torch bits I bought for Christmas , I thought if this improve welding appearance in thin sheet metal , usually it looks burned and I want a shiny nice looking weld.To convert ceramics as you say its a piece of cake for me but you cannot make this degree of quality as casting and sintering technology can do . But the biggest challenge for me is if I can convert
the regular wp26 tig torch to flex lock style I'm thinking , I recon that this possible.For the rest is passion that makes free time to search for the bits I need . The price is also good.First day of the year today so be optimistic ...
Attachments
torch.JPG
torch.JPG (28.96 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

ESENTI wrote:This is the torch bits I bought for Christmas , I thought if this improve welding appearance in thin sheet metal , usually it looks burned and I want a shiny nice looking weld.To convert ceramics as you say its a piece of cake for me but you cannot make this degree of quality as casting and sintering technology can do . But the biggest challenge for me is if I can convert
the regular wp26 tig torch to flex lock style I'm thinking , I recon that this possible.For the rest is passion that makes free time to search for the bits I need . The price is also good.First day of the year today so be optimistic ...
Oh I know, I own several CK pyrex large-diameter cup kits, they're awesome. But the fact still stands that for bigger than a #8, you cannot easily find a cup that will fit over a std 20-series or a stubby-17 gas lens----one is limited to a #8, unless you can actually find a CK dealer that stocks that "rare" #10. Beauty about cheap-solutions like wire mesh inside ceramic cups is that if it gets gunked up, you don't need to order another specialty mesh lens.
ESENTI

oscar have a look at this also has #10 http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/TextSearch.aspx?t=1. Oscar since you know about large gas lens and I don't what about application it can weld ac or even silicon bronze that is known that spatters without a problem . Does it needs a protection for the screen and how
ESENTI

oscar there was a problem with link so i sent you a picture instead
Attachments
large gas lens ceramic.JPG
large gas lens ceramic.JPG (74.72 KiB) Viewed 1810 times