Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Have you tried the pumping the pedal trick that jody showed in his latest video? Just until you get your action together.
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

aeroplain wrote:Image

In this particular picture, I agree, yes there is some undercut on the plate on both sides of the pipe.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Yeah that was where I was having trouble with the transition around the bend so I lingered in those spots with the torch.
To say it was a consistent travel speed would be a bold faced lie, but I did throttle back on the pedal when I slowed down.
Just need more practice on those kinds of joints.
Might help if I had a more secure setup for the parts too.

;)
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

DSM8 This might sound stupid but it does help with getting the motion down of moving torch around tubing. Take a tubing intersection and tack it up. Now with the welder off and no helmet, take the torch and practice following the joint with torch. Pay close attention to angle of torch and arc length (tungsten gap to work) and practice rolling torch in fingers and moving wrist and all at same time to keep proper angle. Move it as if you are welding it. Since you can see everything helps with figuring out movements to maintain good torch angles that you might not notice under the hood and adds a little muscle memory. Will not take place of hood time but can make hood time more useful if your hands can manipulate torch better.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.