Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bmiller
    Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:46 am

Good day, new member here from Colorado.

I have a long history stick welding and a fair bit of MIG time. Also have done some gas welding.

Now I want to get into TIG welding. Primarily "hobby" work for lack of a better term.

There are two machines in my area for consideration, both are about $2,000.

First one is a Miller Syncrowave 250, looks to have all it's parts, the owner states it is complete, no cylinder. I believe this is a transformer unit?

Second one is a Miller Diversion 180, lots of extras and a cylinder. Looks brand new. I believe this is an inverter?

Both have a fair amount of consumables included.

Any thoughts or insight appreciated.

Bill
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Transformer unit will require a larger power source (maybe 60amps 220 if you have it) to get the best performance out of it.

Inverter you can get by with a smaller circuit, so first question would be what are you power constraints. For reference I am using a 100 amp circuit 220 with my miller 300 transformer unit but then again that is a beast.

If power is not an issue then it comes down to the features each of them provide, with the newer one having more bells and whistles. You really need to do a side by side comparison of the two to see what those feature differences are.

The inverter is also smaller takes up less space easier to move around bla bla bla. A concern for some people (I never move my machine so for me it was not a factor in my decision).

Also what kind of material are you wanting to weld if stainless and AL are in the mix then the more feature heavy machine may help make the learning curve a bit easier for you.

As someone that also just got into welding with TIG after years of gas and MIG I was in the exact same boat about 6 months ago and also asked the same questions to myself.

IF I had it all over to do again I might look to get one of the newer machines that have more control over the arc than the one I have now, but there is also something to be said for becoming a proficient welder on an old machine because those skills will just transfer over to a newer one if I ever decide to upgrade.

For reference I am using a Miller 300/300 HF transformer machine built in 1984. I weld stainless, AL, Chromolly and steel with it.
bmiller

Power is not an issue. 100 amp 220 volt service, 50 amp outlet for my stick welder.

Want to weld stainless and aluminum mostly.

Leaning towards the older 250 as it will not leave the shop.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

bmiller wrote:Power is not an issue. 100 amp 220 volt service, 50 amp outlet for my stick welder.

Want to weld stainless and aluminum mostly.

Leaning towards the older 250 as it will not leave the shop.

Hey Man,
Go for the Syncrowave 250.

You will NOT regret it.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

With power not being an issue I also say Syncrowave.....it has more adjustment with the alum. What model 250 is it? How old? Pulse? Water cooled?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i have had my syncrowave to ten years.
great machine did i say great machine
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
bmiller

Rick_H wrote:With power not being an issue I also say Syncrowave.....it has more adjustment with the alum. What model 250 is it? How old? Pulse? Water cooled?
Older machine, don't know the model. No water cooling, no idea about the pulse.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Bmiller,
Not sure where you're at but another contributor here has a Syncrowave he may sell, he bought 2 of them together and only needs one, Louie1961 I believe is his screen name.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Bill,
I have a Diversion 180 and while it is a good machine and it has served me well I would recommend the Syncrowave 250, with the caviat that you have the input power to run it. From where I am sitting there are many advantages to the 250. More amperage, advanced features, easier to upgrade the torch, add a water cooler, etc. The Diversion does have advantages as well. The MVP was one of the main reasons I purchased mine, I do a few mobile repairs a year. It is user friendly, although that can be a disadvantage to some as well. Let us know what you decide.
-Jonathan
bmiller

Struck a deal on the 250, going to get it later today. Also found a guy with several argon cylinders in a nearby city, picking up a couple on the way back. Looks like 8 hours in the truck by the time it's over.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Bill.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Bill it will give you eight hours to decide on your first project!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
bmiller

First project is to do lots of learning. The machine is in great shape. I'm excited to get going.

One question, can this also be used for plain old stick welding? If so I can get rid of some equipment.

Bill,
Yes, the Syncrowave is a very capable stick welder. If you're mindful of where the stinger is you can set it up with stick leads and leave them hooked up for an easy switch from Tig to stick. I just use a twist- lock connector and disconnect the lighter gauge stinger that I have went not using it as a stick welder. It just a matter of changing polarity and a few switches on the panel.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
bmiller

Thanks Len,
So I could have a short pig tail if you will with a twist lock and just switch out leads from TIG to stick.
As far as switches change amperage control and output contactor to unit, crater time off, arc control on. What about the high frequency switch?

Here is the panel of my new welder:

You can leave your Tig torch hooked up all the time. They make a female twist lock that bolts right onto the electrode stud.

As far as the panel goes, the best thing to do is get your serial number off the front panel and go to Miller's website. They have a section where can download a free manual for your machine. It will tell you what year it was built also.

If you still have questions after looking at the manual then we'll work on getting you answers.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

I moved the HF sw from under the cover to empty spot on panel on my syncrowave
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Bill,
Here's a link to your owner's manual, I got your serial number from the picture you posted.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o353j_mil.pdf

To stick weld you're going to set the HF to off and the Output to On and the Amperage control to panel.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
bmiller

Thanks Len. I ran a quick weld just to make sure everything works, it does. I have lots to learn, like why I'm getting that rusty brown crap along side the weld.