Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Is that a nos bottle in the background? For the other toys?
stabdd
    Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:46 am

yes, good eye... have my daily driver decked out with a squirt! keeps the 'P' platers around town scratching there heads when they act all Victor bray in there commodores off the lights! a man can't have too many toys in my opinion!
Some things are better off dead. -NOFX

I only recognised it because they did did a nos install on mighty car mods. My daily driver is a push bike.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

When I asked a friend of mine why he needed a second airplane he simply said "he who has the most toys wins". So far he's winning.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I can only buy toys(tools) and push bike stuff, but I get a kick out of finding cheap stuff on eBay and at garage sales.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

You ought to try the metal recycle yards. I get most of my power tools there.
Industry 'throws away' a lot of great stuff. I collect only the best 'used' equipment.
For the cost of replacing a power cord, bearings, brushes or maybe a switch,
I spend a couple of bucks and walk away with $300+ worth of power tool.
weldin mike 27 wrote:I can only buy toys(tools) and push bike stuff, but I get a kick out of finding cheap stuff on eBay and at garage sales.

I have a mate who ons a recycle yard, he gives me a good rate on bits and pieces. Im not too savvy with fixing machinery but may I could/should learn.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

[/It was for a girl. :)

I actually enjoy going there. If I could find a gig close to where she lives, I'd consider parking my hat there and vacationing in the South a couple times a year.]

tamjeff
south jersey is boater heaven i would think
you would be able to find a job here with
your fab/welding expertise.
(ps ill sell you my house to boot)
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

motox wrote:tamjeff
south jersey is boater heaven i would think
you would be able to find a job here with
your fab/welding expertise.
(ps ill sell you my house to boot)
craig
She is in South Jersey as well. As much as I love Florida, it's gotten to the point that it is so overrun by transplants, that I hardly recognize the place anymore so I may as well live anywhere. They have managed to make it a carbon copy of their North, or West coast cultures.
Damned hippies! :D
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
TamJeff

WerkSpace wrote:You ought to try the metal recycle yards. I get most of my power tools there.
Industry 'throws away' a lot of great stuff. I collect only the best 'used' equipment.
For the cost of replacing a power cord, bearings, brushes or maybe a switch,
I spend a couple of bucks and walk away with $300+ worth of power tool.
weldin mike 27 wrote:I can only buy toys(tools) and push bike stuff, but I get a kick out of finding cheap stuff on eBay and at garage sales.
Is how I get a lot of my tools as well. That's how I got all my old Dynabrade sanders. All they needed was seals and bearings. They didn't actually need the bearings to work, but I figured to put new ones in to return them as close to new operation as possible.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

This week was super busy at work. Thanks to holidays everything was a slight behind schedule. Here's couple of photos of high purity work. Those will be electropolished later, so ignore heat tint :lol:

IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG (28.95 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG (31.44 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Attachments
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG (26.81 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
-Markus-
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I was just goofin' off when I made the guitar player. A musician friend of mine saw it and offered to buy the whole band. I have orders for a couple more but no two will be alike.
IMG_2178.JPG
IMG_2178.JPG (79.34 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG (95.57 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG (108.04 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
IMG_2231.JPG
IMG_2231.JPG (68.77 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2234.JPG (97.11 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG (62.74 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2248.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

So creative!!!!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Markus,
Great job! I like your metal finish job.

Eldon,
Great job to you too! My father commissioned me to make somethin similar but I have not got to it yet. I made one guitar and my daughter liked it and was playing with it. I don't even know where it is now.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Eldon,

Frankly, I'm awestruck.

That's very creative, and well executed.

I think you could exhibit that, in the right gallery.

Steve S
TamJeff

Good stuff all around.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

open your gallery
that is good stuff
there is store(6) in Minneapolis that would like that stuff called "Patina" contact them with pictures
did some repair work on damaged merchandise fr Mexico couldn't belive what it sold for
Christina/Rick owners
http://www.patinastores.com/
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Thanks Rick. I'll check into that.
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

tamjeff said
She is in South Jersey as well. As much as I love Florida, it's gotten to the point that it is so overrun by transplants, that I hardly recognize the place anymore so I may as well live anywhere. They have managed to make it a carbon copy of their North, or West coast cultures.
Damned hippies
very expensive to live in NJ
property tax, insurance, sales tax, water sewer and
almost everything else (but gas is cheap $1.95)
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

motor mount for my old willys jeep. Figured I'd get some TIG practice in. Not as even looking as I'd like it to be in some areas, and I definitely need to work on making the puddle consistent when I resume an existing weld run.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Overall, not bad, Daniel

Good to be critical, but don't be too hard on yourself!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
TamJeff

A little bit of sister'n.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, yet again, I just slobbed on a piece of 1/4" x 2" flat bar. This 1" x 2" box tubing is only 1/8" wall, so it can't really be relied on for anything structural by my experience. It can hold the floor up, but that's about as far as I trust it.
So. . .I grooved out both the flat bar and the box tube.

Then stitched it up. Welds have to be absolutely flush, or it will hold the decking up off the tube and I hate that, and we don't grind anodized if we can help it. The real trick is not to burn out to the edges while putting all that heat down into it, hence, welding it down in the ditch and rolling it out for better edge control.

The idea is to get penetration all the way into the inside of the box section, which also means the groove is fully penetrated.
Yes, it's a little goobery on the end but, I wasn't really trying to be precise here, and it gets welded to the tower at the ends anyway. It's done with the balled pure tungsten down in the ditch and it is then rolled up and out as it fills, stopping at flush. Still, can see the more average amount of penetration in the center stitches.

Finally, it gets tacked into the tower. I weld the plumbing chases first before I weld the box ends. This locks in the rack of the piece, so I won't have it pitching out of rack from having to weld one side before the other with it essentially free standing. It ended up at the designated 1.5 degrees per side like it was supposed to even after the box was welded.

To the rear side, the cross brace, which is just a single piece of 1" x 2", had to be set forward 2.25". I added some boot strap gussets so that it could be tied into the rear leg pipe. It's grooved and welded flush just like the sister'd brace. This makes for a better HAZ than welding the end lap, which would be a shear point in this application. The strap is curved, not a sharp bend.
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

Beautiful looking aluminium welds you have made. I enjoy when i know that weld appearence is a matter too. Then i realy try to do my best.
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

Here is couple pictures at my works. This one is 10m long and 2.20m high. inside there is same kind looking round plates (like that end) I weld whit Pulsed Fronius Mig gas is Argon/Co2 mixture material is 304L
Attachments
20150116_134708.jpg
20150116_134708.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
20150115_152850.jpg
20150115_152850.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
20150115_152835.jpg
20150115_152835.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
TamJeff

Sort of wish I still had the focus that I had 20 years ago where I used to scrutinize every portion of the weld and make them perfect. I forget to do it these days as things become more of a general habit than treating my welds individually. While the weld in the bottom photo is pretty nice, I see where I could have made neater edges but now they have become just another weld among thousands of them. Not that this is a bad thing, and I do start out with the best intentions but, the whole scope of the project, along with demanding schedules and whatever distractions production goals manage to inflict, just jumbles everything together these days.

I imagine a lot of the old hands who post here can relate.