Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jasonz28camaro
    Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Hello,

I am new to this site and to TIG. I have done a good amount of research and searching for a good priced machine that will allow me to weld what I need to weld. I mostly tinker around in the garage with my MIG welder on mild and stainless steel but I want the ability to weld .050" to .070" aluminum and other tubing for a turbo project on my racecar.

My question is will the Everlast 200DV work for my aluminum needs with the start amps only going down to 20 amps or do I need to be able to start at lower amps?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Usually the biggest concern with aluminum tig is having enough amps. A low end of 20A is adequate, but it will take some finessing of the pedal after running a long bead to avoid the base metal from collapsing due to heat soak. This is not normally a downfall of the machine but rather operator skill that needs to be honed after practice time.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

That machine has more than enough "ass" to handle what you are talking about doing. I have the 200DX (no dual voltage)
and have no trouble with aluminum in the sizes you've mentioned. At 20A you should have no problem lighting up, circling the torch around to let the cleaning action "etch" the start area and then pour on the amperage to create a puddle. Then motor on and then taper off and terminate the arc without suck back or hot short cracking. For thicker aluminum you can always add helium to the mix. Click the video's tab at the top of the forum. Jody has done some good video work on that subject! My Everlast has stood up really the past couple years with only one minor breakdown. A micro-switch in the foot pedal.
jasonz28camaro
    Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the replies.

I figure it will handle any thickness that I would be welding but didn't know if it could do really thin, good to know it will. Thanks again!