Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jeffrey
    Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 am

I have been testing at a paper mill on 2" 304 SS pipe. We are using solar flux for the backing. They have us mixing it with alcohol. It seems very common to get one or two small spots of sugar on the root(the CWI does not seem concerned). If we used methanol instead of alcohol would that fix the problem?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Methanol, ethanol, isopropynol, even PVA,

It's all alcohol. It's just a solvent, like thinner in paint.

You'll rarely get perfection with Solar flux; It's likely been spec'd because the engineers feel it's "good enough" for the purpose, and saves money over purging the pipe. This is why the inspector isn't concerned.

Steve
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

In other words, they dont wanna do the job right, they just wanna do it cheap so they can get their money and blame whatever problems they have in 5 or 10 years with the welds on a crappy welder.

cheap bastards.

edit: I shouldnt be so critical. If the pipe isnt critical, than it really doesnt need to be perfect. I just think that if your going to do something, anything, you should take the time to do it right. but companys never want to.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?

I spent four or five days with the boss on my ass about how long some 2" sch. 10 was taking me to fit and weld. THEN I discovered I was making DRAIN PIPE. If I'd known what I was making I'd have whipped it out in no time.

Sometimes, "good enough" really is. Thanks to a lack of communication, there's a plant in IA with some of the best drain pipe you could imagine.

Steve
kermdawg

Ya i know. Next time tell your boss if he really wanted it done fast he shoulda just vic'd it :p

I was on such a small crew at the time that losing an experienced hand would put them behind. So, I was able to make it pretty clear that he would like my other speed even less. ;)

Steve
kermdawg

I can work at three speeds-smooth, slow, or steady :p
Jeffrey
    Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 am

I wanted to let you guys know that I did try the root using methanol for the mix and it did help a little. Most of my problem was I was too slow on the root pass. My eyes are not what they were when I was 20. After 16 years of welding I tried a cheater lens. WOW I CAN SEE AGAIN. I was much faster on the stainless tig root and no sugar at all not one spot. So I think the methanol made a difference but being able to see clear is the ticket. My tig caps look like they did years ago.

:lol:

There's a flashback!

The first time I tested (stick) for an industrial job, I didn't do so well, and I wasn't sure why. (I got the job anyway, but was relegated to welding plate in the coal bunkers :roll: .)

Then I gave in and got glasses.

It makes a hell of a difference in your welds when you can tell the puddle from the slag!

Steve