Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
adjrobert
    Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello, I just bought a used Miller HF125-d unit for my shopmaster. I want to leave it on "continuous" for aluminum but my arc doesn't start like it should. I have to scratch to get it started (takes about 6 trys) then of course my tung is contaminated. Can anyone offer some insight? For now I'm just leaving it set to
"start" but I don't like the arc characteristics much. Also, does anyone have any idea how to set the post flow on this unit? I've looked through the online manual from Miller but didn't see anything. I currently runs for about 45sec wasting my argon.
Best,
Robert
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

I think you are referring to the HF-251-D. If so, 1.) the postflow is fixed, you cannot adjust it, It should only stay on for about 15 seconds. 2.) Do you have a 14 pin connection on the shopmaster? Is it set to remote 14? 3.)Check your high-freq. controls. Is the high freq. intensity control set high enough? 4.) Make sure the work clamp is as close to the torch as possible, and the metal is clean from oxides. If these do not correct the problem, then you may have to adjust the Spark Gaps on the high-freq. unit. Keep the high freq. switch set on continuous. Hope this helps
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
adjrobert
    Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you for replying. I do have a 14 pin connection on the shopmas and the unit is set to "14 remote". I'll play with the frequency intensity control and look into spark gaps to make sure they're where they need to be. Thank you! I'll let you know what happens. Sounds like you know that unit well.

Best,
Robert