Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
GripFab
    Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi, I'm Rick. I'm just starting out in the world of TIG, picked up a Miller Syncrowave 210 and today was the first time playing with it.

My first question is in regards to the ground clamp connection on the machine side.. I put it in and twist and it stays in there but, it sort of flops around in there. My tig torch connection is a positive engagement with no slop when installed. I'm curious if this is an issue or not.. Or possibly related to my next question.

I bought a Hobart Impact Series #770756 welding helmet: http://m.cyberweld.com/hohoweheimbl.html

I'm not sure if its my eyes or some newbie thing I did or forgot to do but, It seems like it doesnt darken enough even at the darkest setting. I dont feel like I cheaped out on a helmet and it got great reviews and says its good for TIG down to 5a and i'm really having trouble seeing after light use at 125a.. I dont feel comfortable continuing to use it like this, it feels like if I do its going to damage my eye sight in the immediate future but, At the same time, I dont feel like the helmet is malfunctioning. I think maybe I just need a darker shade for my personal preference. What do you guys think?

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Is it a brand new machine or second hand. Don't take this the wrong way, but is the helmet switched on? Or not in grind mode?
GripFab
    Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:20 pm

I've been playing with it and reading through the instructions again while I was waiting for this post to be approved as it is my first post.

The machine is new, the helmet is new. It came with batteries installed already.. I just cranked up the darkness and was planning to tune it down to what suited me best as per instructions but, it didn't seem right. I played with the sensitivity knob and the higher the sensitivity, the better the results. It says in the instructions to look at the work area and turn the sensitivity up until it goes dark then back it off a little bit.. I think I backed it off too far originally.

Which means that, depending on the amperage being used, the helmet would turn off because the sensitivity was set too low? I mean, it was uncomfortable but, I dont feel like it was completely off as in essentially no helmet at all.. Unless the UV protection and sunglasses like shading was saving my ass when the darkness turned off.

Anyways, I have the darkness maxed out and the sensitivity is set high enough to where if it stays on for a red hot puddle after arc is off.. So, pretty high it seems. Its much better.. I may even be able to come down on the darkness.. I'll have to play with that.

As far as the loose ground goes, I seem to be getting a good ground so, maybe its a non-issue.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, Jody is an inspiration.. I am planning to self-teach by watching his & others videos online and from your guys' help on the forums. Thank you.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Always consider that the order packers didn't get the work to order right and packed the wrong ground lead. (though Miller should be good) a loose earth, as we call it, will work, but at diminished effectiveness. Also, should it arc out, the brass will smoke and make you think the world is coming to an end. Worth calling the support help line.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Like Mike mentioned, some helmets have both weld and grinding mode settings. It it's too bright even on the lowest setting, it might be in grinding mode. In that case it will never darken enough for welding. The Hobart Impact Black 770756 has both welding & grinding mode
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Rick, I'm glad you seem to have sorted out the helmet issue with no eye damage. (You'd know it if you had it, I promise you!)

As for the sloppy ground connection at the machine, that sucks for new equipment. Odds are, the problem is in the ground-lead connector, not the machine-side connection, so this could be a simple warranty replace. Take teh machine to your local welding supplier, and try a new connector in the machine fitting, and you'll have your answer.

If you want to cheat, strip some #12 stranded wire, spread it out, and use it like a shim as you jamb your ground connector in the machine. This should give you a tight fit, and there's no reason to ever disconnect it unless you want to add a longer ground lead.

Steve S