Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Old Wanderer
    Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:08 am

I am new to this forum and have been watching some videos (and even bought a few things)
I am pretty comfortable welding with my 24V suitcase and Trailblazer 301G. I just do hobby "stuff", but decided I wanted to learn TIG.
I know why the Snap Start was made, but it has the standard 14 plugs and the rest of my equipment, and my Miller foot pedal so have confidence they will work together.
I bought a HF 251 D1 HF TIG unit, but it has no controls for pre-flow and a set 15 second after flow. So I thought I could get some good learning DC practice if I got this Snap Start II (cheap).
Main motivation is my 1966 CJ5 Jeep could use some rust spots replaced with new metal. (Yes I could do it with some .023 wire in my MIg :cry: , but doing new stuff is more fun)
Anybody know a reason to to use the HF exciter and Trailblazer to tig my Jeep repairs?

Bob
Bonney Lake, WA
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Apart from having to listen to the generator running all day, not really. If you are confident and capable and all those bits you mention work, go for it.