Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
iflyboth
    Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:35 pm

I am welding with an old Miller 330 A-BP. I'm having a hard time welding anodized marine tube. I find that I must remove all of the anodizing with abrasives before I can make a decent weld. This is very time consuming and tends to leave scratched areas around the welds. Would higher frequency (200 hrz) resolve this issue? Can the 330 A-BP be upgraded to allow welding thru the anodizing?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate. Welcome aboard. If you search Tamjeff on this page, you will find a absolute master of the art you are talking about. Even uses pretty much the same machine as you.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

from what I understand, anodizing is basically a VERY thick oxide layer, therefore I doubt higher frequency would solve it. If anything, I would think a greater percentage of EP would assist in this but I've never attempted tig welding on anodized parts.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

We had a job come in last year that required aluminum MIG welding support brackets on anodized extrusions. We found that the only successful way was to remove the anodizing by grinding, then the welds were all easy to do. We used an EWM Phoenix MIG welder, which is setup and excellent for aluminum work, but we couldn't get as good a result unless we removed the anodizing first.

TamJeff is the master though. He'll chip in hopefully.

Best
Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

If he doesn't, the basic idea is called bump welding. You set the welder hot and go on off on off on off. That way you have it hot enough to get through the coating, but the overall heat is reduced because of the stop start. A torch switch is really good for this.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

iflyboth,
Your foot pedal (if you have one) should have a remote contact switch in it, and if you set your amperage control to panel and the contactor to remote, the pedal acts just like a torch switch. Then set the amps to 200 or somewhere north of there depending on how thick the base metal is. Hit the pedal and it should go instantly to 200 amps and form a puddle (couple seconds), add filler rod to the leading edge, remove, let off pedal, advance. Rinse, lather, repeat.

This process is a lot easier with an inverter where you can control the pulse, balance, and freq. but it's not impossible with an old school transformer. By the way the high freq. doesn't have anything to do with busting up the oxide layer, just keeps the arc alive through the polarity changes.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
iflyboth

Tried the bump on/off, seems to work, but I'm worried that it may not be too kind to the old machine.
iflyboth

Thanks for the info, I'll give the bump another try, and perhaps add a thumb switch too.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

iflyboth,
If you can kill an old Miller A-BP then you'll be the first one. They're older than most of the membership here and harder to kill than stinkbugs, so I wouldn't worry.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
iflyboth

Once again, thank you for the info. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Braehill wrote:iflyboth,
If you can kill an old Miller A-BP then you'll be the first one. They're older than most of the membership here and harder to kill than stinkbugs, so I wouldn't worry.

Len
This ^
You won't kill an ABP . Simple as that...