Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The two welds in the following picture were made within 30 minutes of each other, under the same conditions...

2" 304SS, sch. 5. 70A(max)DCEN, 3/32 tungsten, #8 gas lens, 20 CFH argon, backpurge 10 CFH argon.

I know exactly why one looks better than the other (my mistake!), but I thought this would be a good exercise in analyzing problems.
GEDC1613.JPG
GEDC1613.JPG (143.56 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Steve S

And, frankly, I'll be stunned if someone actually nails the "exact" cause, but I'll bet several of you get it right in general.

Steve S
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

one was left handed, one was right handed? :lol:

danielbuck wrote:one was left handed, one was right handed? :lol:
Nice, but no... Each weld has an equal mix of "handedness", and the better part of the crappier weld was southpaw.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Nice, but no... Each weld has an equal mix of "handedness", and the better part of the crappier weld was southpaw.
Southpaw helped you do this weld? I thought he was better than that. ;)

As to the problem, that's a easy one. Everyone should know that.
-Jonathan
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

How was fit up? Beveled and open root? Was the ground connected in the same place? Which side was welded first, I assume the RH?
Last edited by Rick_H on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Superiorwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:
Southpaw helped you do this weld? I thought he was better than that. ;)

As to the problem, that's a easy one. Everyone should know that.
-Jonathan
Yes, the problem was a step in the prep, but it had nothing to do with the amount of coffee I'd had...
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

You say the conditions were the same for both welds. That leaves you as the only variable. Lemme guess, you accidentally put on someone else's glasses?
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid

Rick_H wrote:How was fit up? Beveled and open root? Was the ground connected in the same place? Which side was welded first, I assume the RH?
It was fit dead tight, and welded essentially as if I were welding sanitary, but with 1/16" filler added every time I saw the devil's eye.

The ground was left of the picture, the purge fed from the left as well, and the left weld was done first.

Steve S
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Didn't clean it the same?
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Wen
  • Wen
    Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 pm

You welded the first one, had a coffee break plus a half a dozen doughnuts, and came back and welded the second one. Jitters.

dirtmidget33 wrote:Didn't clean it the same?
DINGDINGDINGDING!

The section was out for a week, waiting for an expansion joint for the outer jacket (not in the picture) to arrive. The exposed ends were taped up tight.

I prepped the section, then pulled the tape and began prepping the ends. I got sidetracked by a newbie with a question before I finished prepping the left side. There was still a bit of tape adhesive residue on the left. The uneven HAZ shows where this slowed me as it cooked out and gave me fits in the 9-12 quarter in particular.

Steve S
Rick_H

Do you tape the joints? Cleaning after removal?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:Do you tape the joints? Cleaning after removal?
In this case, with the zero-gap fit, I did not tape.

As I said above, though, I taped the open pipe ends shut to keep out dust and critters while waiting for parts. Failure to fully clean this caused the issue with pretty much the entire top half of the weld in the left in the picture... I was working at the cleaning and

"SQUIRREL!!!"

Where was I?

Oh, yeah... I got distracted.
dirtmidget33

Whoooohoooo got it right party time :D :lol: :D
So I win lifetime supply of TIG fingers right? :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of when you don't clean cromoly on how Gray that weld will get.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
dirtmidget33

your post gave me an idea not sure how or if it could be done on the forum. my idea is to set up a little test section with pictures and descriptions the members could log into see something missed up or incorrect way of doing something and have multiple choice answers. the test would not be to grade a person but teach them when you see this, this is what your doing wrong. I realize Jody gives a lot of free infromation away and would not expect him to do this, but maybe as a whole we could come up with section to help teach problem solvinig. just a thought Otto's post gave me
Rick_H

Lol....I was on the right track, I hit reply as I was letting my truck warm up before pulling out of work. Just checked the thread when I got home.

The weird HAZ was throwing me off, but I didn't see any visable residue in that area. Interesting...

Make you feel better I was welding a cast alum bracket yesterday, made a first pass and had to let it cool a little. Came back, brushed it, and welded another area and it popped was dirty and looked like a$S...here another guy in the shop used my ALUM only stainless brush on his dirty ass steel. Clearly in RED paint marker it said Aluminum Only. I got this info a few hours later as someone over heard me talking about it... Still hits a nerve.
I know I'm a little anal at times about my brushes, some of the other guys just don't realize how important it can be.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Excelent lesson! :)

And if pipe would have been aluminium what problems we may have then?
-Markus-
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

I was going to say the travel speed for the one on the left was slower for reasons unknown to me.
And as I read on seems as I was on the right racks, woo yay me, this Meens im learning!!!
I have a soldering iron!

Drifta-X wrote:I was going to say the travel speed for the one on the left was slower for reasons unknown to me.
And as I read on seems as I was on the right racks, woo yay me, this Meens im learning!!!
Indeed!

The travel speed WAS slowed a bit, as debris cooked out, and that's exactly why the HAZ varies like it does.

I can show off pretty welds anytime (well, almost any time... sometimes it's just that kind of week), but nobody learns anything from "what went right".

I like to put up my bad welds, and ask everyone, "what went wrong?" I've usually figured it out by the time I've posted it, so it's something teachable, but once in a while I'll really ask, "what went wrong?"

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

On the flip side of that coin, sometimes we are to quick in the draw to pick out "flaws" of a weld when there are none or it is acceptable.

Thanks for sharing Steve!
-Jonathan

Markus wrote:Excelent lesson! :)

And if pipe would have been aluminium what problems we may have then?
WOW! That has me thinking!

Under the same circumstance, aluminum that was cleaned before it was taped, but tape residue not removed, would likely show lots of "pepper" from contaminants floating to the top of the puddle, assuming tape-glue residue was the only contaminant. That's a weld I would not want x-rayed. I'd think inclusions to be likely, and porosity not unlikely.

In SS, you have some time to cook/float the debris out of the weld. In Al, not so much.

Steve S

Superiorwelding wrote:On the flip side of that coin, sometimes we are to quick in the draw to pick out "flaws" of a weld when there are none or it is acceptable.

Thanks for sharing Steve!
-Jonathan
The welds I posted were tested at 3X MAWP, and further Helium-leak tested, so, as you said, looking kind-of funky is not a flaw... 8-)

Steve S