Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Looking to buy a entry level tig machine and came across this one.
http://www.expondo.de/products/en/Weldi ... -200P.html
Any thoughts on this for a newbie.
Thanks
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

I don't know anything about that machine but i will say this, you get what you pay for. I think if I calculated this right that is a $280 US dollar welder. That screams cheap junk to me but i could be wrong. For a quality machine here your spending close to a $1000 in US dollars. If its just to tinker with and maybe do a little project here and there then sure this might be for you but if you think you will get a lot of use out of one maybe save up some more and find a better quality machine. just my 2 cents. Good luck and have fun.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Looks like a junk machine to me.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm gonna suggest that you look for a Thermal Arc 186 Great inverter machine that has AC and DC with a lot of options that will be useful after you learn basics. Another reliable machine is Lincoln square wave 175 easier to use doesn't have the advanced options but very good machine. Some welders due great things with these 2 machines. they cost more than what your looking at however these are reliable and you won't regret it down the line. You will spend more time welding with these then fighting with a cheap machine.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
yfzjoe
    Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 pm

It has a mosfet inverter and from what I've read mosfets don't hold up to hf start and pulse. I am in no way an expert just a beginner looking for a welder like you. I really like the everlast 200 dc pulse and the ahp alphatig ac/dc. Both are just over $700.
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

I bought this on eBay for $760(USD) and haven't had any troubles:
http://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraete.de ... lasma.html

My advice (from hard learned experience): Research them all. Pay attention to reviews and manufacturer's forums. Owners/operators manuals will tell you a lot about the machine. Once you have it, take care of it.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
yfzjoe
    Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 pm

I bought this on eBay for $760(USD) and haven't had any troubles:<br />http://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraete.de ... lasma.html<br /><br />My advice (from hard learned experience): Research them all. Pay attention to reviews and manufacturer's forums. Owners/operators manuals will tell you a lot about the machine. Once you have it, take care of it.<br/>

How long have you had it and have you used all the processes that it does?
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Have you considered Parweld machines?
Thats what I have for TIG since a year back.
They sell for a lot less in the UK compared to here. Maybe good price levrl in Ireland too?

yfzjoe wrote:How long have you had it and have you used all the processes that it does?
A couple of weeks. I took my time with setting it up out of the box. Cuts well on .25". Stick is fine using 6013. TIG is good on 2219 (I've only ran one butt weld on 4"x.375" coupons so far). I'm still getting the feel of the machine right now (finding sweet spots in the settings for different applications. I am using the Miller calculator as a base setting to start. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UH ... UTF8&psc=1 )
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
nick.k
    Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:26 pm

I bought a Stahlwerk in October last year (200 ac/plasma). Iv'e been using it daily to weld up a large sculpture in bronze sheet. Baring some small niggles I'm very happy with it and with the Stahlwerk service.
I don't have much TIG experience apart from sculpture work so I can't comment on how it compares to other machines except in the work shop we also have two small cheap TIG machines (Rehmann) which do the job and are both a few years old.
It's a nicely finished machine with a solid feel. I use it on max amps for much of the time and haven't yet had it cut out.
All the functions seem to work although I have only spent a few minutes with the ac on a scrap bit of ally.
I also bought the water cooler which looks like the same unit sold by many others but at about a third of the price of some. Haven't hooked it up yet.
What I would say is that the plasma function is pretty much useless except for playing with. I planned to use it for cutting out the 6mm 316 internal structure of the sculpture but it was quicker to do it with a grinder! Also after two days of trying with the plasma, the temperature light kept coming on randomly. I telephoned Stahlwerk and they organised for the machine to be collected immediately at their cost, it was repaired and returned to me. I have a good impression of the company. I also commented to them that the control labels were in German not English and they sent me a new panel in English.
Other small niggles...The welding shield is horrible and flashes unless you have a completely clear view (I junked it) and the torch comes with a pvc sheath that has the protective properties of milk chocolate (although the head is ok).

Where are you? I'm in West Cork, you are welcome to try it if you are close.
Nick.
nick.k
    Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:26 pm

AndersK wrote:Have you considered Parweld machines?
Thats what I have for TIG since a year back.
They sell for a lot less in the UK compared to here. Maybe good price levrl in Ireland too?
I have a 160 amp Parweld stick inverter from WWS in Dublin which was very reasonably priced. It is a few years old now and has done a lot of work.
s/s welder
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:02 pm

RocketSurgeon wrote:
yfzjoe wrote:How long have you had it and have you used all the processes that it does?
A couple of weeks. I took my time with setting it up out of the box. Cuts well on .25". Stick is fine using 6013. TIG is good on 2219 (I've only ran one butt weld on 4"x.375" coupons so far). I'm still getting the feel of the machine right now (finding sweet spots in the settings for different applications. I am using the Miller calculator as a base setting to start. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UH ... UTF8&psc=1 )
nick.k wrote:I bought a Stahlwerk in October last year (200 ac/plasma). Iv'e been using it daily to weld up a large sculpture in bronze sheet. Baring some small niggles I'm very happy with it and with the Stahlwerk service.
I don't have much TIG experience apart from sculpture work so I can't comment on how it compares to other machines except in the work shop we also have two small cheap TIG machines (Rehmann) which do the job and are both a few years old.
It's a nicely finished machine with a solid feel. I use it on max amps for much of the time and haven't yet had it cut out.
All the functions seem to work although I have only spent a few minutes with the ac on a scrap bit of ally.
I also bought the water cooler which looks like the same unit sold by many others but at about a third of the price of some. Haven't hooked it up yet.
What I would say is that the plasma function is pretty much useless except for playing with. I planned to use it for cutting out the 6mm 316 internal structure of the sculpture but it was quicker to do it with a grinder! Also after two days of trying with the plasma, the temperature light kept coming on randomly. I telephoned Stahlwerk and they organised for the machine to be collected immediately at their cost, it was repaired and returned to me. I have a good impression of the company. I also commented to them that the control labels were in German not English and they sent me a new panel in English.
Other small niggles...The welding shield is horrible and flashes unless you have a completely clear view (I junked it) and the torch comes with a pvc sheath that has the protective properties of milk chocolate (although the head is ok).

Nick.
nick.k wrote:I bought a Stahlwerk in October last year (200 ac/plasma). Iv'e been using it daily to weld up a large sculpture in bronze sheet. Baring some small niggles I'm very happy with it and with the Stahlwerk service.

Nick.
Just seen the post about your STAHLWERK welder that you just bought, I'm looking at getting a STAHLWERK tig 200 puls s& would like to pick your brains about what you think of the machine?, i.e. reliability, does it put down a good weld, has it broke down if so how was the repair service & return like?.

So far, everything is good with my 200P.

My ONLY modification/complaint is the main power cord. It's too small in gauge. I changed it for a bigger gauge cable and upgraded the plug as well to a 50amp.

Stick is holding well. TIG is running great. The plasma torch is a little lacking, but still does the job.

It's not a Miller or Lincoln, but it does the job with out compromising the work or your wallet.

I'm very glad I bought it.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I'll say this;

Whatever you buy, cheap or otherwise, be absolutely sure that you have spoken to people you trust and have rock solid assurance that there are systems and people in place to back you up with warranty/help/service should you have a problem.

I faced two choices before I purchased. One was $700 cheaper than the other, but came with no real backup. I'm glad I spent the extra $700, because I know that the guy who sold me my machine has my back. If I have any questions or problems at all he is right there, on the phone, and fast to help with advice, parts, whatever it takes. Really good after sales service and advice is pure gold.

Kym