Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:11 pm

I saw this video last night. At around 1:12 the guy starts his arc by flipping the rod somehow. Anybody has a better video to see how this is done? I have a poor lift arc welding machine, but my tungsten keeps sticking to the metal (does this makes it a "stick welder"?).

jvrXuQesxKw

Thanks,
Ted
Lincoln Invertec V145-S
Hammers & Angle Grinder
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

He just props the cup so the tungsten is off the pipe a little, then swipes the rod over it to start the arc.

Works and he can do it blind.

But to your other problem, it's nearly impossible to stick your tungsten if you prop your cup right on the metal with the tungsten up.
Drop your lid.
Now rock your tungsten down and up quickly.
The cup gives you the leverage to get the tungsten off the metal without getting it stuck, and since the cup is resting on the metal, it doesn't try to lift with the tungsten.

For thin metal, or pieces that can't be disturbed, I light up on my table (or a scrap on the table) and carry the arc over to the work piece.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks, Dave! I'll have a go with your two tips. Much appreciated!

Ted
Lincoln Invertec V145-S
Hammers & Angle Grinder
Bigdeer597
    Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Good god that guy really makes sure he doesn't stay in one area long lol
I can weld anything from spider webs to broken hearts