Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Goncalvo
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:39 pm

Hello, I recently started a new quarter at my Technical College for TIG, I am just now learning how to TIG weld and I was wondering if there were different ways of holding a torch in your hand or the best ways of holding the torch in different positions : flat, horizontal, vertical, overhead.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Heh. I just had a conversation with my bud yesterday about this subject. Hes been a welder for 40 years, and I was tellin him how I started to hold the tig torch when I first started out because I saw the instructor do it that way, and how after I moved my hand back on the handle my life became a whole lot easier. He had us all choked up around the cap, and when I moved my hand back to the end of the torch I had an easier time.

But yes, there are many differant ways to hold a torch, some will be easier for you than others. Kinda hard to explain, Id ask your instructor to show you a couple ways and then see which one works for you.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

I use whatever works. I tend to gravitate towards the cup when nothing is in the way, generally with a pencil grip. sometimes i give the main body a pencil grip, sometimes a more traditional pistol grip. as long as you're in control and can see, there really isn't a problem with any way you hold the torch. sometimes you have to put your hand in a position to prop against something, ect, so being flexible helps a lot.
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

If I'm working on real thin materials, requiring really precise electrode distance manipulation and not a lot of heat, I'll choke up and hold the torch closer to the cup. Sometimes even grabbing the cup. If I'm working on materials that are really going to heat up the torch, like welding steel (with high current) or aluminum (especially with high current and relatively high EP% AC balance setting) I will hold the torch by the handle and not even touch the stem between handle and head (because it and the cup are going to get HOT.)

Sometimes manipulating the position of the flex neck is helpful in allowing the torch to be held more comfortably while achieving an acceptable or desired torch angle. It's great for welding something like a tubing that is not laid flat on a table for hand / arm / wrist support. And for that matter so is a TIG finger.

Also, I usually hold the TIG torch handle like a pencil, but occasionally also like a hammer. I remember contorting my hand, and often holding the torch in very awkward positions before I got a flex-neck torch. Whereas now with the flex neck, if the hand position feels too awkward, I can usually make it better with a flex neck adjustment.
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

I just realized when welding the other day, I also sometimes grasp, or guide with a finger or two the (full length) back cap as well. It usually stays pretty cool, and allows a "light grip" with good rotational control of the torch.