Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Had a filler bowl on a piece of equipment crack, needed to be sanitary welded. This bowl is a formed piece of stainless steel. If I had to guess thickness it would be around .015"... I back purged, used .040" tungsten and 6amps on a Miller Syncrowave 350LX, .035" filler.

While 6 amps is not enough to melt the filler it actually worked since the piece got fairly heat soaked quick, so with some torch manipulation and a light dab of filler it worked perfect and I was able to get 100% penetration.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Did you get a photo you could share, Rick?
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I thought I grabbed one but I must not have hit my screen hard enough. I'll grab one tomorrow when I head back in.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Rick_H wrote:Had a filler bowl on a piece of equipment crack, needed to be sanitary welded. This bowl is a formed piece of stainless steel. If I had to guess thickness it would be around .015"... I back purged, used .040" tungsten and 6amps on a Miller Syncrowave 350LX, .035" filler.

While 6 amps is not enough to melt the filler it actually worked since the piece got fairly heat soaked quick, so with some torch manipulation and a light dab of filler it worked perfect and I was able to get 100% penetration.
6 amps? Dang! I can barely see below 60 amps :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.