Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
lucky
    Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:02 pm

So, I figured I was good enough with aluminum tig to start a small repair for a friend that rescued a boat out in the bay. This is a very salty aluminum boat. To say the least it was corroded. I cleaned the area up real good and gave it my best. I still have to weld the inside of the crack, but here are some action shots. I will post pics of the inside when I am done.

Reminder, I just started welding today. Any tips are appreciated.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucky

Oh yeah, it was EXTREMELY thin.

1/16 2% Lanthanated
40 amps foot pedal controlled
#6 cup with gas saver
3/32 filler <--- didn't have 1/16

exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Looks great! You just started welding today or welding on the boat today? If you just started welding your aluminum work looks great 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
lucky

Just started aluminum. Really just started tig. Thanks. The boat was a pain to start, but once I got about an inch of bead it went good. I started back further than the crack to I could get a good consistent bead.

exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Wow if your doing that good on thin aluminum already your going to be a great tigger. I have my days...sometimes Im good sometimes...I'm hungover :roll: Nice work!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.