Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Deadmau5
    Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit of a beginner at tig welding. I've done some mild steel work and made some gates etc but have a few other projects id like to attempt. one of them is a bike frame. I've been doing some practice on some what i think is thin wall chromoly tubing (off cuts from bike frame tube set i purchased) and as soon as i get near the edge of the tubing it burns a hole even on low amps. i dont seem to have an issue when welding in the middle of the tubing

can anyone give me some pointers on how i can prevent this.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

You need to get a good sized puddle going. The added mass of metal helps control the edges of the tubes.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

And welcome to the forum!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

What Amperage are you using?
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Yep what amperage and what is wall thickness of tubing? is this I fillet weld where you are joining two coped pieces together? Do you burn a hole as soon as arc starts? If so does machine have a hot start adjustment? What machine you using? Size of filler rod and type?

I know we got a lot of questions but more details we have better we can guide you in right direction without wasting your time and materials. :cry:
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

how close it the fit up
one more added question
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Where were you on Dec 7th 2012 at 4:15 pm! Sorry :roll: Couldn't help myself...off early today and stopped for a few...Welcome to the forum/amusement park 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Deadmau5
    Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:00 pm

So many questions? I'll check all my settings but it's a 200amp tig inverter and currently the piece i was practicing on wasn't fitted up to another tube it was just a tube to practice on.

I'll check out all the other details and get back to you. I appreciate the help
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Where were you on Dec 7th 2012 at 4:15 pm! Sorry :roll: Couldn't help myself...off early today and stopped for a few...Welcome to the forum/amusement park 8-)
Dec. 7 2012? I was in a Karaoke bar attacking a Pearl Bailey impersonator.

...think about it 8-)

Steve S
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Deadmau5 wrote:So many questions? I'll check all my settings but it's a 200amp tig inverter and currently the piece i was practicing on wasn't fitted up to another tube it was just a tube to practice on.

I'll check out all the other details and get back to you. I appreciate the help
There's your problem...

You're welding on the side of a tube, and when you reach the end, there's nowhere for the heat to go. Welding a joint is a different matter. You have two tubes meeting, and plenty of metal to carry the heat away.

To weld practice to the end of the tube, you'll need to tail off your power a LOT as you approach the edge, and add metal often, to keep the puddle cool.

Steve S
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Dec. 7 2012? I was in a Karaoke bar attacking a Pearl Bailey impersonator.
Give or take a few years...
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc