Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
smudger
    Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:58 am

I am trying to weld 16 gauge mild steel to 5/8" mild steel square tubing, and can't seem to find the proper settings and/or techniques to make it work. I'm using a Maxstar 200 TIG machine, argon gas (11cfm), 3/32 rod, 1/16 tungsten with cup size 4, and have tried everything in the range of 90 - 120A with only ugly results. I think I should be using thinner rod, but it's all that I have available -- is there any way to make this work? Thanks for any help.
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

90-120 is a little high for that thin of material. You'll burn right through it. i usually stay around 45-60a when working with 16GA. now obviously its not going to penetrate the 5/8" very much so you'll have to find a happy medium. Just make sure you have both surfaces good and clean before starting.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Really need smaller filler rod too, will make it easier for to get a better looking weld. That 3/32 gonna freeze the puddle quick.
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

You need to concentrate the heat on the thick metal and kinda wash the puddle onto the thinner metal. Welding thick to thin is a challenge. Some pics of what your welding would help. 120 amps won't make a dent in 5/8" steel. You need enough amps to start a puddle in the thick metal . Try using some MIG wire for filler if you have any.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

What is the wall thickness of the 5/8" square tubing?
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

i forgot to mention i was using 1/16" 70S6 filler.
smudger
    Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks, everyone; I'm going to take your advice off to my shop now.