Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nathannamaya
    Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Just wondering if you guys have any tips for welding stainless steel without any gas backup? Or if there's some other type of way to get some type of coverage without purging. any tips are welcomed!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

What thickness material are you using?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Solar Flux
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Solar Flux B :)
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

You could also use a piece of copper, bronze or alum as a backer clamped tight to the backside...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
exnailpounder

Rick_H wrote:You could also use a piece of copper, bronze or alum as a backer clamped tight to the backside...
Dang...you and Oscar stole my thunder :lol:
Nathannamaya
    Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Yeah, I've heard about solar flux, does it work any good?
exnailpounder

Mr. Tig did a video on youtube about solar flux . Its been around for a long time so it has to work. I don't know if Jody has done a video about it but if he hasn't maybe he will. Like Rick said , clamping a strap in the back of the weld works too.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Nathannamaya wrote:Yeah, I've heard about solar flux, does it work any good?
Yes, I have some. It works. But it does leave a glass-like flux residue where you apply it. It's not like it just disappears and goes away like if you had purged it. :lol:
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

If you can get to the back side and tape it, they make an Aluminum tape that only the two outside edges have glue on them so the middle doesn't stick. There's also ceramic backer bars that work, again only if you can get to the back.

My questions would be, what are you welding and is a purge required? I would purge everything if it was simple and cheap, but most times it's neither. If your not all that concerned about corrosion resistance or if the sugaring has no affect on flow it's not that big of a deal. If the WPS calls for it then you have to do it no matter how big of a PITA it is.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

G H Grimm makes equipment for maple syrup. They used to solder everything, lead was a concern, they now weld everything. They have machined purge boxes/ clamps/heat sinks for every joint. A small crew makes some beautiful equipment!

If you have something a consistent shape consider welding aluminum purge boxes.