Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

I have a new WP20 water cooled torch.
Hooked it up to the cooler etc last night, it seems like the flow is a little low or at least to my memory it is.

I disconnected the line to the cooler and it is getting plenty of flow via the pump etc but when hooked up the flow indicator seems to be more of a trickle than the steady flow I am used to seeing.

Is it possible for a torch to have obstructions from the factory?

Any advice on how else to test this?
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

When I measured the flow thru a standard WP20 torch it was roughly 0,3 gallon /minute at 75 psi ( 1 l/min at 5 bar).

Hook it to a water line with a pressure gauge at the inlet and the outlet in a jar. Measure the amount you collect during a minute.

DSM8 wrote:I have a new WP20 water cooled torch.
Hooked it up to the cooler etc last night, it seems like the flow is a little low or at least to my memory it is.

I disconnected the line to the cooler and it is getting plenty of flow via the pump etc but when hooked up the flow indicator seems to be more of a trickle than the steady flow I am used to seeing.

Is it possible for a torch to have obstructions from the factory?

Any advice on how else to test this?
Does the cooler have a filter that can cleaned or changed?
Richard
Website
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

LtBadd is on to something. My immediate thoughts were to temporarily remove any filter, and see what difference might be made.

Please report back. It'll help others for sure in the long run.

Best

Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

I tested the flow without the torch in the mix and it was fine, so it seems like the reduction in the flow is consistent with the torch itself.

I have been using it and did some 320amp passes.

Torch got warm but was plenty cool to continue working so I think the flow seems to be fine.

Thanks for the input.
Last edited by DSM8 on Fri May 01, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSM8 wrote:I tested the flow without the torch in the mix and it was fine, so it seems like the reduction in the flow is consistent with the torch itself.

I have been using it and did not 320amp passes.

Torch got warm but was plenty cool to continue working so I think the flow seems to be fine.

Thanks for the input.
That's good news, better to know for sure all is working as it should.
Richard
Website