Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Alumike
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Lately most of my welding is removing broken bolts or taps. Welding is also one of the easiest ways to remove valve seats from a cylinder head. I must say that I would not have attempted the bolts before viewing Jody's video, and the tap would have been sent to the EDM shop. Although, I have been removing seats this way for years. In the old days before I had a tig welder we would do it with stick arc.
Attachments
valve seat
valve seat
sear.jpg (54.09 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
broken tap
broken tap
tap.jpg (62.03 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
bolts
bolts
weld.jpg (61.93 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
Last edited by Alumike on Sun May 03, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

You definitely earn your pay removing broken stuck stuff like that.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid

Alumike wrote:Lately most of my welding is removing broken bolts or taps. Welding is also one of the easiest ways to remove valve seats from a cylinder head. I must say that I would not have attempted the bolts before viewing Jody's video, and the tap would have been sent to the EDM shop. Although, I have been removing seats this way for years. In the old days before I had a tig welder we would do it with stick arc.
Sometimes the tap my not come out, but you gotta try. And the small ones, smaller then 6-32 are a real PITA :(
Richard
Website
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

What rods do you guys use for broken taps ?
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

there is a video here some where about tap removal
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

In my former life as a heavy equipment field mechanic I often had broken bolts in caterpillar undercarriages and the like. I usually used 3/32 LH90 to remove them. If they were broken much below flush, I would put a small piece of tubing in the hole and weld inside that. On larger and particularly stubborn ones, I would drill in the center if possible then weld the hole in. This will shrink the bolt. It was my good fortune never to break any small taps.
Cheers.
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
massacre
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 pm

At work we use a welding rod especially made for removing broken bolts/studs. We buy them from Lawson, it really saves our bacon with the Sterling trucks, they break exhaust manifold studs like crazy. And almost never flush or proud, always break below surface ugghh!
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Brake is done and works like a charm. Little overbuilt but only wanted to make one unit... has enough bite to clamp down on a 3/16" edge of 5" x .050" molly sheet stock and bend a 90 no worries. 3/4" split shaft for eccentric clamping action. This thing should last beyond my lifetime of use....can accept 8 inch wide stock. 8-) Added a piece of angle spanning the underside of the table to kill a small amount of flexing. Heim's are leftover race parts. Cant quite bring myself to paint it though.
Attachments
0506150853.jpg
0506150853.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
0506150844.jpg
0506150844.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash

Beautiful!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Wow
When I saw the pictures in the first post, I imagined it was much larger than it really is.
Nice job all the same. Will certainly handle a lot of work.
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
motox

nice project
one more reason why we all weld.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Very nicely done!

I see there's horizontal adjustment on the clamp, to allow different radii for different thicknesses. Excellent planning, so it's not a "one-trick pony".

Paint it proud!

Steve S
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

I've looked through all 74 pages of this thread and there is some outstanding work in here. I wish I was able to post pictures of some of the things I have welded at work, but I'm not allowed to take pictures of anything at work. I'll try to post pictures of some of the things I've done in my shop. I've done some roll cages and frames for drag cars and pro street cars. I've also done a intake manifold for a 8-71 blower that went on a small block Chevy. Really too many things that I can't even remember. I've got a Miller Syncrowave 250 in my shop and a Syncrowave 350 at work. I do a lot of 304 and 316 stainless, a little titanium, some 6061 aluminum and a few other materials at work. I also have to do some repairs on A-2 and 4140 tool steel. Some of my stuff looks pretty good, but I wouldn't want anyone to see some of it.
Freddie
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

motox wrote:309
there is a video here some where about tap removal
craig
massacre wrote:At work we use a welding rod especially made for removing broken bolts/studs. We buy them from Lawson, it really saves our bacon with the Sterling trucks, they break exhaust manifold studs like crazy. And almost never flush or proud, always break below surface ugghh!
xwrench wrote:In my former life as a heavy equipment field mechanic I often had broken bolts in caterpillar undercarriages and the like. I usually used 3/32 LH90 to remove them. If they were broken much below flush, I would put a small piece of tubing in the hole and weld inside that. On larger and particularly stubborn ones, I would drill in the center if possible then weld the hole in. This will shrink the bolt. It was my good fortune never to break any small taps.
Cheers.
Eldon
Thanks gentlemen, that gives a good range of options.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Well today was mostly paper work, but managed to get my hands onto next project too.
So I started with this :lol: Anyone want to guess what that thing is? :D
Attachments
WP_20150518_15_45_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20150518_15_45_50_Pro.jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
-Markus-
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Markus wrote:Well today was mostly paper work, but managed to get my hands onto next project too.
Ummm, not trying to be smart, but could it be a jig for making something with 4 arms and a circular centre piece? Anyway, after you tell me, that would have been my very next guess ( :lol: )
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

Markus wrote:Well today was mostly paper work, but managed to get my hands onto next project too.
Fixture for a gravflux vortex manifold for the next generation of X-wing fighters?? :D

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch

ldbtx wrote:
Fixture for a gravflux vortex manifold for the next generation of X-wing fighters?? :D

LDB
Everyone knows the nex gen X wings have vortex injectors ;) the manifolds proved unreliable

I with Trackranger on this one
Richard
Website
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Good guesses guys :lol:

I have noticed that we always seems to have too few pipe stand around at work. Instead of paying 500 € from one decent stand I decided try do those myself. So I drawn one and I'm about to do 10 of those now. For a start at least :lol:

As I will do these all by myself, I thought that jig would be very helpful thing to have. It took 30-45 min to wrap up that jig, but I believe that it will pay itself back with ease. Also I'm sure that it will help a lot to prevent distortion as pipe stands will be made of 304 stainless.

I will do a new topic of making these and will give all dimension of the stand etc.
Attachments
Pipe stand.png
Pipe stand.png (46.2 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
-Markus-
motox

object lesson in matching parts
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

LtBadd wrote:
ldbtx wrote:

LDB
Everyone knows the nex gen X wings have vortex injectors ;) the manifolds proved unreliable

I with Trackranger on this one
LtBadd, it's times like these I wish the forum had a "Like" button. Well played, sir.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

@Markus if they are solely for pipe, are they for rotation of the pipe? Or moving it back and forth for Cutting, if they are the latter, maybe use two roller, tilted down at the center, to keep it on line, if they are for rotation only, two discs for rollers will do, also consider a screw type arrangement for height adjustments, so you can do very small ones.
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

I always wanted to try it. My first attempt:

ImageUntitled by Taz00, on Flickr

Never mind the choice of cans. I rarely drink soda and my favourite beer (Paulaner Weiss) comes in a bottle. This was given to me as a promotion item though I have to admit it was not that bad.

That's awesome, Taz. It took me many many tries. Mine is not that pretty either. What settings did you use?

Cheers
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

ALCOHOL FREE?? Me and you gotta talk :lol: Nice job...now I gotta try it. Gotta wait til I'm alcohol free though 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.