Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
boileranimal
    Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 am

I'm getting into tig welding aluminum, whats the best color tungsten to use to tig aluminum.
Squirmypug
    Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 am

Most people say green tungsten (pure tungsten) and ball the end for aluminum.Others say to use 2% thoriated(red) or lanthanated tungsten ground to a point and add a flat spot to the end.I haven't welded aluminum much yet so I can't tell you which is better.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

It depends ,to a large degree, on what type of machine you are using. (inverter,transformer etc..) Then it would be by preference.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

not green(pure).

red(thoriated), gold(lanthanated) or orange(ceriated) are your best bets. I like the lanth the best, it seems to last longer. I never had starting issues with any of them as long as the tungsten was clean and well-sharpened. if you're on a modern tig machine (either square wave transformer or inverter), point the tip like you would for steel, but take a small land off the end. that point has a habit of burning off into your weld. make sure that land is perpendicular to the tungsten, too, or the arc will always start off the longer side of the land.
TheExpert

Mostly green tungsten is preferred.
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I have a dynasty and have tried red and dark blue. The dark blue 2% lanthanated works or holds up the best for me . I sharpen it like I would for steel and put a flat land on the tip. the red 2% thoriated will work in a bind but splits and spits too much for a critical weld.
racingparts
    Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:43 am

for me 2% lantanated works best and i buy them in china WL20 , about 14-15$ for 10 pieces
Jandb150
    Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:02 pm

I personally have used the green tip, junk IMO. I have used the 2% thoriated with the best results so far.
NT Unique

Try getting your hands on Zirconiated, they have a white end. They were designed just for alloy welding, big in Aus over here but almost unheard of over there in the states. I have a decent machine with water cooler and can run as high as 145amps on a 2.4mm Zirc electrode without problems.
Give'em a go.

Cheers
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Pure tungsten is pure crap. Balling sucks too.

Go with lanthanated. Rounded tip.

I would love to try the zirconioated.

Hmm, just checked, zirconiated is available in the US and it is color coated 'brown'
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
NT Unique

Caps
The white tip is 2% and the brown is 1.5% Zirconiated. From memory...
If you have trouble getting them over there try e-bay.

Cheers
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks for the correction.

They are on Ebay. Im gonna check with my supplier too.
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
TD2593
    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Ive played around with different tugstens and have found that the 2% lanthinatied works best for me.
Twin Turbocharged 397 cid Small Block Oldsmobile
Miller Econo TIG
Millermatic 200
Everlast 250EX