Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
JDT738126
    Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey I was wondering what a good sized tungsten is for a beginner on aluminum? I have 10 lbs of 1/8 alum rod, and started out using pure tungsten at 1/16. (green). I just read that people here are using 2% thoriated on aluminum. I was told to use only pure tungsten on aluminum and also just let the tip on it ball up from the heat. Should I sharpen the tips to a fine point like for steel? Just layed a few beads last night and I would really like to see the beads begin to stack-up like those nice clean welds i have been seeing.

Also I am using a miller diversion 165 with argon. I have a collet assortment so changing tungstens is no problem. Any tips you can lend would be great so i can get welding better, faster. Thanks!
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

You only want to use pure tung. electrode if your machine is an old sinewave or squarewave. Your machine is an advanced squarewave and should use a lanthanated tungsten on AC and sharpen to a point then put a small flat spot on the point. If you prefer the "balled type" electrode tip, 1% zirconiated would work well. Also, with using 1/8" filler rod, the minimun electrode size would be 3/32. With your machine, you would probably have to max it out to burn that 1/8 rod well, especially if you are using a base metal thicker than 3/16. I would recommend a 3/32 filler metal size.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
JDT738126

I did some carbon steel welding today and I was wondering why my welds look so dark silverish almost like a graphite haze over it. Im thinking its mostly silicon/slagg so I used a wirebrush to clean it and it does look a bit better but not nice and neat like some of the bright steel welds Ive seen. Im sure alot has to do with my skill level, but I was just wondering why it seems to always do that on me. I used a 2% thoriated 3\32 tung with a 1/8 filler rod. I think it was 4043. Before I began welding I wire-brushed the whole surface being welded on. any tips on how to get really clean looking welds would be appreciated.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I did some carbon steel welding today and I was wondering why my welds look so dark silverish almost like a graphite haze over it. Im thinking its mostly silicon/slagg so I used a wirebrush to clean it and it does look a bit better but not nice and neat like some of the bright steel welds Ive seen. Im sure alot has to do with my skill level, but I was just wondering why it seems to always do that on me. I used a 2% thoriated 3\32 tung with a 1/8 filler rod. I think it was 4043. Before I began welding I wire-brushed the whole surface being welded on. any tips on how to get really clean looking welds would be appreciated.
Are you welding carbon steel with alluminum filler? Thats your problem. Also, the dark silvery stuff your describing almost sounds like your welding the steel on AC. Try weldin it with DCEN and clean it real good (which you should do for ALL metals). Wire brush and wipe it down. Try not to touch the weld area with your fingers, the oils from your hands/gloves can screw up the weld.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
JDT738126

Hey Kerm

I was welding on DC with a sharpened tung. I have wire brushed the area about a 1/2 inch on the seams to be welded. I will take some pics for you guys so I can get some help.. I am gonna get under the mask for a bit and I will start a new thread with my pics so you can give me some pointers....
TheExpert

A bead is a small, decorative object that is usually pierced for threading or stringing.