Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Braehill wrote:It would make for some very long nightshifts here if I am limited to company business, but the maintenance costs will go through the roof. If I can't get on here and occupy my time, my time will be spent building projects on their dime, this is the better bargain for them. ;) I have about 500 projects around here that could be built if I have idle time and their Amex card.

Len
Lmfao
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

therbrig wrote:Well I broke my anti cavitation plate pulling my lower unit off to change the water pump...Anyways figured why not try to fix it. Eventhough I've never tigged aluminum much less cast aluminum.
Glad this worked out! I've read TIGging cast aluminum can be a handful.

I've also read that welding on marine engines is tricky because you have to be aware of the various rubber seals, and not allowing weld heat to damage those seals. Did you run into that in this project?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
therbrig
    Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:11 pm

No sir. The Welding area was far enough away from any seals that I didn't have to worry about it much. Although I was still cautious only welding a little at a time to keep from getting to hot. Alot of carbon type stuff seemed to burn from the cast aluminum. I would stop clean and weld again. I did try to run a light heat run over first to bring some impurities to the top so I could clean it more.

Coldman wrote:Finished piping up a mini screw compressor rack today. 2" & 2.5" sched 40. Nice to work in a shop again. No sun, no wind, no rain, no carrying gear up ladders, no welding in awkward positions, no JSA no HWP, no WMS, no safety officer. Customer smiled and shook my hand when I finished and said "thankyou here's the cheque". It was such a joy for a change. Didn't even cuss once.
Gonna take the rest of the day off I'm in such a good mood and bash some cans of Tooheys down my neck.
SC.jpg
Looks good, well done.
Richard
Website
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Nice work everyone.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

TamJeff wrote:Nice work everyone.
I agree.

I was caught up in a conversation, and didn't think to post on the pictures posted in the meantime. A couple of well-done projects. Cast aluminum can be a beast to keep the angle of the strake, and fitting manifolds like Coldman did can give one fits to keep the mating faces parallel.

Well done.

Steve S
therbrig

Thanks guys! Ran the boat this weekend and everything held like it should've.
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Been practicing for about three months total time you include all the time I've spent on break and one at work practicing my tig took me forever to figure it out finally somebody gave me a helpful to me the other day and it clicked I know it's far from perfect but please any constructive criticism is appreciated this is my 10th attempt at walking the cup since I have found a technique that works for me
Attachments
IMG_20150805_200806.jpg
IMG_20150805_200806.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
therbrig

Looking good! Did you "walk the cup" on that bead?
Rick_H

therbrig wrote:Looking good! Did you "walk the cup" on that bead?
It was his 10th attempt ;)

Looking pretty good, make sure you are fully allowing the base metal to melt, this will help with the edges/toes of the weld tie in smoother. Just remember to keep a loose grip and breathe....

It's hard to tell, what type of joint was that?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

JDIGGS82 wrote:Been practicing for about three months total time you include all the time I've spent on break and one at work practicing my tig took me forever to figure it out finally somebody gave me a helpful to me the other day and it clicked I know it's far from perfect but please any constructive criticism is appreciated this is my 10th attempt at walking the cup since I have found a technique that works for me
Please use some periods. That's hard to read.

I'm also just learning to walk the cup. I can do pretty well on a large fillet, but don't know how to attempt it on a flat butt weld.
Freddie
Rick_H

big gear head wrote:
I'm also just learning to walk the cup. I can do pretty well on a large fillet, but don't know how to attempt it on a flat butt weld.
When I was in class they taught us walking the cup flat...kinda neat, helps get that barrel wobble feel. However, that being said I have never used it in the field. I'll walk 4" and larger pipe, and sometimes a fillet weld depends on the joint and project
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
JDIGGS82

Rick h that was a fillet weld just practicing on some scrap in my free time
JDIGGS82

IMG_20150806_192901.jpg
IMG_20150806_192901.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
One more from today

I've been busy the last 2 weeks and hadn't got a chance to try this again until yesterday. This was my 4th try. Looks a little better than the 3 that I did 2 weeks ago. What do I need to work on?
Attachments
weld 2.jpg
weld 2.jpg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
Freddie
Rick_H

big gear head wrote:I've been busy the last 2 weeks and hadn't got a chance to try this again until yesterday. This was my 4th try. Looks a little better than the 3 that I did 2 weeks ago. What do I need to work on?
I'd say looks pretty damn good. If I had any crtisim I'd say it looks a tad underfilled on the left, could be the pic.

Your walk looks good, consistent...
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
TamJeff

big gear head wrote:I've been busy the last 2 weeks and hadn't got a chance to try this again until yesterday. This was my 4th try. Looks a little better than the 3 that I did 2 weeks ago. What do I need to work on?
I would say you have the torch part down. What that looks like to me is more about your positioning and trying to go too far before changing position. Whenever you start to get comfortable passes, remember that perspective between your body and the torch, field of view etc. I still catch myself slacking off at this sometimes.

I repositioned 6 times and tried to keep my angle the same as I moved around. I'll try repositioning a little more often. This lay wire is all new to me and I don't know if I should be forcing more wire into it or not. I'm using 3/32 wire and a #7 cup with a gas lens. I'm not forcing wire into it, just laying it down and going over it. Do I need to reduce the amount of movement with the torch so that the bead is not as wide and maybe a little thicker?
Freddie
TamJeff

You're actually doing really good. Only people who are going to show better examples are those who weld the same types of joints every day and have the type of materials and fittings around that afford them that much practice. Try scribing some soap stone lines as guides if you need just one to come out neater if these types of jobs are few and far between.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Frankly I though the effort was pretty sensational, there certainly wasn't too much wrong with that. The technique looked really well controlled. Great job!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

Thanks a lot guys. I think I'll try moving on to a butt weld and see if I can walk the cup. I don't think I've seen Jody do a video on this.
Freddie
jlfxdwg
    Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:38 am

IMG_0779[1].JPG
IMG_0779[1].JPG (60.12 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG (34.25 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Adding a front deck to my neighbors boat so he can shoot his bow at fish. 1 1/2" square tubing, 1/8" thick with a 1/8" sheet on top. The boat aluminum welds amazingly well for the age of the boat.
    Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm learning to TIG weld pipes after hours at work. Had big problems doing the root pass on 6G, so instead I try to learn vertical up, walking the cup, before i even try the 6G again. Learn to walk before running eh?

Learned everything from Jody and this forum! I hope to become a sertified welder someday!

Root pass, 2mm gap
Root pass, 2mm gap
IMG_0474.JPG (88.79 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Root pass inside
Root pass inside
IMG_0475.JPG (95.49 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Cover pass
Cover pass
IMG_0476.JPG (85.83 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

Nice looking welds on the boat. Those can be hard to weld sometimes and your beads look very good.

Pipe welds look very good for a beginner. I've never been good at that. I've got friends that are boiler makers and I'm amazed at the work that they do in the conditions that they work in.
Freddie
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

jlfxdwg wrote: Adding a front deck to my neighbors boat so he can shoot his bow at fish. 1 1/2" square tubing, 1/8" thick with a 1/8" sheet on top. The boat aluminum welds amazingly well for the age of the boat.
Great demonstration of using the minimum "cleaning action" required to achieve a clean, solid result. I assume straight argon, at those thicknesses. You have the Dynasty, right?

BTW, now that I have the formulas, we can blend you some He/Ar in (approximately) known proportions, should you ever need them. Keep this in the back of your mind, the next time we vent four partials to atmosphere...

Steve S