Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
smokingengineer
    Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm a noob to TIG. I've done MIG, oxy, and arc in the past. Actually, I took a course in college that covered arc and oxy. I've always wanted a tig but I've never had the extra cash. Well, the company I work for offered their a working single phase Lincoln Idealarc Tig 300/300 for silent auction because they finally bought a new one . Well I got it for $325. So, now I need to learn to use this thing.

From watching a bunch of the video's on this site, I've decided to start by leaning to laying some beads on aluminum. Anyone got any advice on the best way to start with this dinosaur? Or, any giant mistakes to avoid?

Thanks!
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

That was a pretty good deal.
If you have never tig welded before, I would probably start with steel first to learn on. Steel is much more forgiving. Just my opinion. Also, not having any tig experience might be a good thing in this situation. I believe this machine is a transformer with an AC sinewave. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with sinewave, but once you have had the luxury of using an advanced squarewave and a triangular wave, it's hard to go back to just using sinewave. If you are going to start with aluminum, I would recommend a 2% thoriated tungsten and make sure you have the proper grind on it so it will ball properly. And make sure your aluminum is cleeeeeean. Those two things can decide between you having a pleasurable learning experience vs. a bad one. Just a couple of tips. Have fun. :)
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Id start with steel if it was me.If your intent on startin with aluminum, buy plenty of extra tungsten :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
smokingengineer

I'm in no way attached to staring with aluminum. I was basing that on a comment Jody had made in one of his videos.

I was able to get it home today. Loading it into my buddy's old box van was pretty easy since there was a forklift still at my company's old building. But, unloading it was quite the sight. Luckily his truck has one of the aluminum ramp and we were able to slide it down it.

Now, I need to run a new circuit into the garage and get the monster hooked up. I've already got a 50 amp circuit out there. But, a 100 amp circuit would be MUCH better with this old dinosaur. Of course, now I've got to move it to the other side of the garage. Man, I wish this thing was on wheels.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

There's your first project...welding up a cart for it.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
smokingengineer

With the distance from it and the power, I may just use my little crappy MIG welder to make the cart. Of course, I wonder if I could move the tig, without too much trouble, with the cherry picker. I need to think about it a little. But, either way, I can't wait to get to play with the new toy.