Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

Otto,

I'll take one, too! A small one will do. :lol:
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

cup walk.jpg
cup walk.jpg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

Some more practice had machine right around 190 amps controlled with the pedal 3/32 tungsten and filler had to tighten it up last time i think i should have held longer on the sides any critiques please
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

My son and I built 20 of these today. All with the finger switch method at 250 amps. Each frame also has 2 solid break away fittings. On each cope, I start as far down as I can reach and pull the torch uphill without letting off the switch. The rod dips create the fish scales. Once I start coming up around the cope, I bump the weld with the switch, switch hands, and then fly down the opposite side. I end up with about a 3rd of the joint left to weld on the opposite side, which gets it just hot enough for an invisible tie in, and cool enough to tap-tap-tap the crater away, I was completing each frame in just under 20 minutes, which also includes assembling the parts and securing them in the jig.

My son finishing up the last set of breakaways. He has had a crash course in what would be considered 'intense' aluminum welding, if not just for the pace alone. I have been watching him and telling him that whenever you get a chance at some "open road" in the joint, hold the switch on and see how far you can go before it starts getting away from you. Now I hear him leaving it on longer and longer and the dips controlling the heat and he is putting out some really nice looking beads. I will get some bead shots tomorrow.

Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Waaaay up there TamJeff
You guys are machines.
Top job
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

tamjeff
you guy rule!
did obi build that jig or is it
something manufactured?
looks it you built it
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
TamJeff

I envy those who get to measure their welding process and turn out all of those textbook quality welds. We rarely get that opportunity, seeing as we are now essentially competing with 3rd world standards, or what the yuppie market will allow. Either way, all these parts get a rather heavy powder coat and we make our money where we can. Basically, it's knowing what you can get away with, all in the name of production and tight wallets. This project will eventually even out to where I can do nicer, or at least more realistic paced work and the welds will turn out nicer. But for the time being, it's just clench up your butt cheeks and don't "f" up. We got it done. 80 machined billet parts in just under 6 hrs today. I even have time to get to the grocery store tonight. :) I'm 53 yrs old and I feel like it tonight. 5 years ago there would have been no stopping me.

I built both jigs. The first one while simultaneously building a boat tower from hell, and the 2nd while feeding the first jig. As it is, we are now surpassing their machinist supply so now the heat is on them. They want 36 more parts by Wed, but their machined parts won't be here until Tuesday. Not gonna happen.

CornerStone
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 am

Custom turbo manifold for a cobalt ss
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
TamJeff

CornerStone wrote:Custom turbo manifold for a cobalt ss
Nice bit of fitting there.
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

I've always wanted to try building a set of headers. Just haven't had the chance yet. How did you purge inside?
Freddie
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

big gear head wrote:I've always wanted to try building a set of headers. Just haven't had the chance yet. How did you purge inside?
They are fun when there done...lol I actually enjoy making them, but its some work to make them flow and fit correctly, at times you make sacrifices due to how they have to run. I tape them off and purge away through the flange or collector. 100% argon, although I'd like to try a Nitrogen purge
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

TamJeff wrote:I envy those who get to measure their welding process and turn out all of those textbook quality welds. We rarely get that opportunity, seeing as we are now essentially competing with 3rd world standards, or what the yuppie market will allow. Either way, all these parts get a rather heavy powder coat and we make our money where we can. Basically, it's knowing what you can get away with, all in the name of production and tight wallets. This project will eventually even out to where I can do nicer, or at least more realistic paced work and the welds will turn out nicer. But for the time being, it's just clench up your butt cheeks and don't "f" up. We got it done. 80 machined billet parts in just under 6 hrs today. I even have time to get to the grocery store tonight. :) I'm 53 yrs old and I feel like it tonight. 5 years ago there would have been no stopping me.

I built both jigs. The first one while simultaneously building a boat tower from hell, and the 2nd while feeding the first jig. As it is, we are now surpassing their machinist supply so now the heat is on them. They want 36 more parts by Wed, but their machined parts won't be here until Tuesday. Not gonna happen.

Way to pump those out Jeff, looks like you've passed the knowledge and skill to your son as well. Time is money...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
therbrig
    Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Tamjeff,

All I can say is wow...great work
TamJeff

Thanks y'all.

Anybody in the Tampa/Brandon area that can run a halfway decent aluminum TIG, that can move their feet, and not afraid of learning a new way to weld, we may have an opening soon if anyone's interested.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

IMG_20150817_141326.jpg
IMG_20150817_141326.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Getting the week started.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

zank
does the heat ever mess with the threads when you get
close to the edges?
super looking welds....
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

therbrig wrote:Well I broke my anti cavitation plate pulling my lower unit off to change the water pump...left a bolt in on underside up anode (imagine that). And I've changed them many times. Anyways figured why not try to fix it. Eventhough I've never tigged aluminum much less cast aluminum. Well it turned out little better than I thought it would:
Topside 1.JPG
Topside 2.JPG
Topside 3.JPG
Topside 4.JPG
Underside_1.JPG
Underside_2.JPG
Underside_3.JPG

Nice work.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
TamJeff

zank wrote:
IMG_20150817_141326.jpg
Getting the week started.
Sweet.
CornerStone
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 am

Doing an Evo 8/9 stock replacement manifold today. I back purge these with a plate and fitting on one side and aluminum foil on the outlet.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Cornerstone,

Those are the FUN welds! You can turn it however on the bench, but you still have to figure out how to get that arc in that spot and maintain gas coverage... Keeps your brain busy all day, and the day passes fast.

Steve S
Rick_H

That my friend will not be fun to weld...lol nice job looks good!
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

I did NOT weld these (but I wish I did):

http://canyouactually.com/15-satisfying ... ks-of-art/
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 pm

RocketSurgeon wrote:I did NOT weld these (but I wish I did):

http://canyouactually.com/15-satisfying ... ks-of-art/

Is this welded by a human being?

Wow, that's nice!
Freddie
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

overflow tank
Attachments
20150821_202810.jpg
20150821_202810.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Nice tank Hollywood1. Outside corners have always been hard for me. I can't seem to make them look good.

I made a hand rest this week. I've needed one many times but never took the time to make one.
Attachments
20150820_074406.jpg
20150820_074406.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
20150819_081945.jpg
20150819_081945.jpg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
20150820_074255.jpg
20150820_074255.jpg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
20150820_074325.jpg
20150820_074325.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
Freddie