Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Tooms
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 pm

hi

first i am total new to tig and have just got my Kemppi MasterTig MLS 2300 AC/DC.

the queastion is, on this machine the torches is connected to it own connector with gas and then there is two dinse35 connector, one plus and the other is minus.. so i connected the ground clamp to plus and tryed but it will not start at all and if i connected the ground clamp to minus then it seems to work. but my understanding is that this is incorrect and the ground clamp must be in plus for DC- and AC ???

i have been reading the manual, but it is only talks about the clamp connection with MMA not TIG.

Hope some one with an kemppi know this.

Thanks
Thomas
cptjackm
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Tooms wrote:hi

first i am total new to tig and have just got my Kemppi MasterTig MLS 2300 AC/DC.

the queastion is, on this machine the torches is connected to it own connector with gas and then there is two dinse35 connector, one plus and the other is minus.. so i connected the ground clamp to plus and tryed but it will not start at all and if i connected the ground clamp to minus then it seems to work. but my understanding is that this is incorrect and the ground clamp must be in plus for DC- and AC ???

i have been reading the manual, but it is only talks about the clamp connection with MMA not TIG.

Hope some one with an kemppi know this.

ThanksThomas
Hello Thomas from Jack in California.
That is one sweet looking machine you have.
I did some Internet surfing and found the operating manual.
I didn't take long to find that polarity changes are made on the panel.
I suspected that but have never seen your welder in person.
My advice is to get your head in that book.
If for some reason you don't have one,
it's a download from the page at this address below.
Hope that helps, good luck with your new machine.
Jack
http://www.kemppi.com/inet/kemppi/kit.n ... endocument
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

You set the polarity on the panel with thr tig button. Put the clamp in neg pole and you should be fine as long as DC- is lit at the panel.
Tooms

hi Jack

thanks alot for your reply.

the main reason that i asked is because that i understand from Jody videos that you normally can connect the wires there wrong way up and the do welding but it is working very badly and it is an common mistake that newbe makes, so i i trying to make sure that i have connected it the correct and the welder i fully working.

The manual write this about MMA but i cannot see any text about it for TIG
Choosing welding polarity in MMA welding
You can select the polarity electronically from the control panel, i.e. you do not have to switch
the places of the (+) and (-) connectors. Connect always the negative connector to the work
piece.
i have now found some promo product welding videos on youtube there is made by Kemppi and from there is seems the ground clamp is connected to the Minus and not the plus.

so i guess that it is correct that it is always connected like this for ALL welding on this machine

torches is center power connector with gas
ground clamp is on minus
stick is on plus

... so no change around, that is done by the panel selection.

Thanks
Thomas
Gavin Melville
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:31 am

The ground lead plugs into the left Dinse socket, labelled "-"

You might find this forum useful; http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/thre ... ode.56543/ There are quite a few 2300 users on that forum.

At the end of the first post I've linked to some training material that might help.

It's a very good machine, pity about the manual(s). I'm just working through the Mix mode for Aluminium, mostly welding aluminium with DC. A work in progress.

PM me if I can help further.
Gavin Melville
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:31 am

Two other real "gotchas"

Quick Setup gets access to all sorts of useful things.

AC balance setting drives you nuts. The scale is from 50-75% negative, but shows as 0 to -50. So 0 is 50%, the default of -25 is 62.5%. Sigh.
Tooms

Thanks alot guys, it help me.

from the post in the other forum that Gavin link to, there is an pdf with this information.
No cable changes
• Change from ( MMA … TIG )
• Change between current types ( DC- … AC )
• Change between polarities ( DC- … DC+ )
• Earth cable always in minus pole ( - )
so that make it very clear and it will just have been nice if the Kemppi manual was including this info.

Thanks alot to all of you, i am not longer worry about if it is working correctly

Thomas