Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
CornerStone
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 am

So I'm trying to get this all welded up and I'm trying to figure out how to get in this tight of an area. I normally run the very large Pyrex cup with a lot of stick out but I think that the gas is being blown away. Am I going to need one of those super small long comes or should I rig up a secondary purge and diffuser ?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 796 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 796 times
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

With a bit of luck, Zanc will come to the rescue on this one. He's the master with this type of fabrication.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

CornerStone wrote:should I rig up a secondary purge and diffuser ?
That has crossed my mind too and I intend to try it next time I get into a similar position.

If you try it please tell how it went.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

I would use aluminum foil and make a purge dam around the whole area. You could just wrap right around the collectors. Kick the pedal a few times and let the post flow flood the area. Give it a go. Don't be too tempted to crank the gas at the torch when you are actually welding though. If that doesn't work, you may want to have a purge line feeding the dammed in area. Let us know how it goes.
CornerStone
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 am

Damn, I honestly never thought about making a dam, I use foil to plug the pipe for back purging but I'll definitely give a dam a shot. Thanks dude.