Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Received a video from Jody this morning in which he sets off to swap out his gas bottles.

His Argon bottle costs him $US35 to swap out. So taking into account the comparison to the Australian dollar, I can say that conservatively he is paying between a half, close to a third what I'm paying for his gas.

Until I scope his bottle size, which is significantly larger than mine. So guess-o-metrics say he's actually paying more like somewhere between a third and a quarter of what I'm paying for gas.

Having made these calculations, my question is; so precisely what is involved in gaining American citizenship? :lol:

Kym

MosquitoMoto wrote: Having made these calculations, my question is; so precisely what is involved in gaining American citizenship? :lol:

Kym
Okay let's not get started on this!! :o :lol:
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

MosquitoMoto wrote:Received a video from Jody this morning in which he sets off to swap out his gas bottles.

His Argon bottle costs him $US35 to swap out. So taking into account the comparison to the Australian dollar, I can say that conservatively he is paying between a half, close to a third what I'm paying for his gas.

Until I scope his bottle size, which is significantly larger than mine. So guess-o-metrics say he's actually paying more like somewhere between a third and a quarter of what I'm paying for gas.

Having made these calculations, my question is; so precisely what is involved in gaining American citizenship? :lol: go to mexico and swim over or jump the fence sign up for welfare so you get a steady income and your in...but yagotta vote democratic

Kym
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

I'm not a great swimmer but I was good at high jump in school.

Just need to get some American language lessons under my belt so that no-one suspects I'm from Oz.

And from there I reckon I'll be home free. Harbor Freight, cheap argon, cheaper gasoline, V8's and Wal Mart here I come!

Kym
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Oh yer?
Can you listen to organ music at badeball?
Can you chew gum?
Can you say joisey?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

In the UK, a 10 litre argon costs £35 a refill - but it's a 200bar cylinder
But I just upgraded to 20 litre, which was £43 if memory serves.
So I guess Jody pays about half what it costs in the UK.

Captainbeaky wrote:In the UK, a 10 litre argon costs £35 a refill - but it's a 200bar cylinder
But I just upgraded to 20 litre, which was £43 if memory serves.
So I guess Jody pays about half what it costs in the UK.

Yeah, heaps cheaper. That's okay, I'm resigned to the fact that the stuff is like gold dust where I live, just have to deal with it. Just thought I'd poke some gentle fun at the situation after watching that latest video. Welding gas sure costs pocket change stateside!

Kym
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hey Kym, don't let one little item get to you! Look at all the things that are less expensive in Aussie Land! Like Kangaroo's! If I were going to purchase a six-pack of kangaroos I would rather do it down under than up here! Or deserts! Lots more and costs less! Dingos!

See, when you look at it, things really do work out!
Gary
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

I have not seen Jodys cylenders but don't get Your hopes up. I pay $100 USD roughly for a "K" cylinder. It's 300CF at 2800 lbs(I think.) You have to do Your own math as I have been thoroughly Imperialized.

Boomer63 wrote:Hey Kym, don't let one little item get to you! Look at all the things that are less expensive in Aussie Land! Like Kangaroo's! If I were going to purchase a six-pack of kangaroos I would rather do it down under than up here! Or deserts! Lots more and costs less! Dingos!

See, when you look at it, things really do work out!
Gary
Galahs are way cheaper, too. My brother picked one up free recently!

Kym
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Yeah,
The little bastards fly out of their way to commit suicide on your helmet.
Hit one at 120km, that rang my bell a bit.
The only thing in oz with less intelligence is a politician.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

[

Galahs are way cheaper, too. My brother picked one up free recently!

Kym[/quote]

"Galahas"??? Isn't that like a big party?
Gary
WJH
  • WJH
    Fri May 29, 2015 8:27 pm

In Tampa, FL, I pay about 40$ to swap out a 125 CF tank
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Here about $176 for an E sized cylinder thats 141.2 cuft.
Now you understand the downunder wailing and nashing of teeth re argon prices.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

330CF bottle 100% Argon cost me $200 bought outright, $50 refills. A 330CF fill of 75/25 He/Ar was $115. S/F....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit

echosixmike wrote:330CF bottle 100% Argon cost me $200 bought outright, $50 refills. A 330CF fill of 75/25 He/Ar was $115. S/F....Ken M

This translates that your cylinder is around eight times the capacity of mine yet cost half as much to buy outright and costs less than half as much to refill.

(Not taking into account differences in U.S. And AU dollars).

I mean, I'm resigned to paying what I pay for argon nowadays - well, almost - but I still can't get over how little you guys pay in the states. Enjoy it!

Kym
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

The $100 I quoted for a 300 cf was also a "business discount."
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm going to speculate on the price difference, just for the fun of it.

The U.S. is densely populated and has been very industry-oriented for such a long time that the infrastructure for gas liquefaction is everywhere. In almost every state, there's at least one for every major manufacturer, so no one here is more than 200 miles from the source, except perhaps in the desert southwest. The transportation infrastructure is huge, also (and pays my wages, as those insulated tanker trucks are what I work on; Liquid hydrogen, mainly, but lately we've been doing quite a bit of Oxy, Ar, Ln2, and even some CO2). This keeps competition up and costs down.

Australia, on the other hand, has large population centers separated by hundreds of miles of empty space with small communities scattered in between, making it impractical to build plants local to many because of the relatively small local demand (heavy industry being centered around the major cities, rather than scattered everywhere like they are here). This makes the transport costs high (and product loss, as well, as the vessels are not perfectly insulated).

Additionally, your recent natural gas boom has concentrated demand for argon in those regions, driving up costs in general, and reducing the providers' interest in serving the small communities.

That sucks for every Mike or Sheila living in South Podunk who needs to swap a bottle two or three times a year.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:I'm going to speculate on the price difference, just for the fun of it.

The U.S. is densely populated and has been very industry-oriented for such a long time that the infrastructure for gas liquefaction is everywhere. In almost every state, there's at least one for every major manufacturer, so no one here is more than 200 miles from the source, except perhaps in the desert southwest. The transportation infrastructure is huge, also (and pays my wages, as those insulated tanker trucks are what I work on; Liquid hydrogen, mainly, but lately we've been doing quite a bit of Oxy, Ar, Ln2, and even some CO2). This keeps competition up and costs down.

Australia, on the other hand, has large population centers separated by hundreds of miles of empty space with small communities scattered in between, making it impractical to build plants local to many because of the relatively small local demand (heavy industry being centered around the major cities, rather than scattered everywhere like they are here). This makes the transport costs high (and product loss, as well, as the vessels are not perfectly insulated).

Additionally, your recent natural gas boom has concentrated demand for argon in those regions, driving up costs in general, and reducing the providers' interest in serving the small communities.

That sucks for every Mike or Sheila living in South Podunk who needs to swap a bottle two or three times a year.

Steve S

'South Podunk!' Outstanding.

I think your reasoning is pretty close to how it rolls over here, Steve. But hey, today's good news is that for Fathers Day I received...argon!

My wife understands that my personal motto has always been "Say it with gas..."

Kym
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Dont forget that Linde have the gas market pretty much cornered here in AUS, we'll supply, but we'll demand you pay us more....

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:
My wife understands that my personal motto has always been "Say it with gas..."

Kym

I hope that's not how you compliment her cooking... ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

Steve S
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

The gas situation was bad in the UK until the last few years.

I've always been lucky, as a friend runs a fire extinguisher company, so I got co2 for mig at a very low price (£7 a 10 litre fill), and he gave me a cylinder.

Prior to this, it was £20 a cyl per month, and £40 a fill ( for a small 10 litre mig gas) from BOC, until the smaller companies started to take hold.

Now, with cylinders purchased outright, or a peppercorn £30 per 3 year rental agreement, gas is much more affordable (£30 ish for a mig 20 litre refill).

Now there are several options for affordable suppliers.

Keep pestering your LWS every time you visit - someone might take the business case and make it more affordable.