Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

doing a little cleaning up, like sorting my filler rod and putting the plastic/rubber caps back on the container tubes since I had them open to the elements and dumb old me I didn't use my head and realize that exposed metal will corrode or rust sitting in my almost-always flooding high humidity basement. Luckily they all look good from what I can tell, but I do have a couple of boxes where I put my short pieces of used filler rod to use later on that's of course wide open to the elements, and those pieces which are pretty old, some are showing signs of corrosion, at least on the steel ones...

My question is, would you still use them even if they had some corrosion on them? I guess that's a dumb question, why use them? Filler rod is pretty cheap, but sometimes you run out and those old pieces come in handy. Should I just toss them? Guess I should put them in sealed plastic containers from now on.
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

raticus,
I just used some 4043 filler rod that I've had since 1981 to pad some beads while trying out a different welder. They had heavy oxidation on them on the end that was opened, but they cleaned up fine. Just scuff them with a Scotchbrite pad and use them for non-critical welds. Why throw them away?

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I second that. I bought an extra box of Maroon sctochbrite just for that. Half-used mild steel filler will always get "dingy" even if it doesn't get the traditional "rust". Couple quick wipes with medium finger pressure, then acetone, and you have yourself perfectly usable filler for non-critical welds.
Welder2008
    Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:27 pm

I third that motion.... No need to scrap!