Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Oddjob83
    Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi there been a long time since i posted on here. so . . .

I have used my Tig welder in like a week, and its always worked fin for the last 3 year and we got it used. Its a 575 Single Phase. I've check the plug and receptacle, one loose wire, but wasn't the issue.

But now when i turned it on today, all i get is the HF arc start, and maybe a sputter of a real arc when i am half a mm away almost touching on DC-, on AC is kinda get an arc at a larger gap but even when i floor it on the pedal at 200 amps still nothing, just a little burn-back/balling on my tip. opened it up and blew out some dust but still nothing. nothing seemed out of place inside nothing smelled melted or burned up. and all this grounded directly to the work/test piece. Made sure it wasn't set to stick, and that was fine.

I got a couple days before i have to send it out, would good to hear of some ideas.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Odd,
Does it weld on stick? Both DC straight and reverse? Will it stick weld on AC? If it does those things it should likely rule out a transformer issue. I'm not familiar with your machine but that will get some of the questions out of the way. Check to see if all the connections are tight coming off the transformer, machine unplugged of course.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Oddjob83

It sticks 7018-1 fine on all polarities. cold on DC- normal on AC and a Little hot on DC+, seems normal across the bored.

perhaps my torch is buggered It was a CK twist lock, I thought maybe it was having a poor connection at the twist, but looks fine after i took it apart.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Pedal playing up?
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Oddjob83

*facePalm*

yes that appears to be the issue. I took the foot pedal off a borrowed squarewave 175, and it makes an arc.

Unfortunately it seems it is totally unserviceable, no screws and peined over swivel pin. one break in the casing of the wire but no damage to the wires inside.

EDIT: scratch that yes there is a broken wire. at least i can shorten this 25' pedal lead to 20' >.>

Odd,
Glad you found the problem and if you can't get the pedal going I'd suggest looking at the SSC pedals, they're very well made.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Oddjob83

Fixed, broken wire all along >< panic is over.

I cut and re-soldered the plug further down the line.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Braehill wrote:Odd,
Glad you found the problem and if you can't get the pedal going I'd suggest looking at the SSC pedals, they're very well made.

Len
Beg to differ mine(SSC) feels like throttle pedal on an old dump truck. May be it will get smother with age.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Rick,
I only have my old Miller (circa 1978) and Sam's Everlast pedal to compare it to and it's nicer than both of them. The Miller weighs enough that you'll need that old dump truck to move it around. The Everlast seems to be as smooth, but he had trouble with the linkage to the pot a while back, easy fix though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len