Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Everyone

Doing some aluminum work at the house this weekend
I would like to blend Helium in with the Argon supply. I have a bottle that is just Helium for this purpose.
To goal here is to get 25% Helium in with the Argon

What are you all using to blend the mixture of the two gases?
Any one have a snapshot or a link to something that I can order for this purpose?

Let me know what you think,

Adam
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The best way is using a gas mixer. But that's a lot of money. I have one and it's a nice way to go. Conversely a simple Y fitting with 2 flowmeters will work just fine

Adam Mc Laughlin wrote:Hi Everyone

Doing some aluminum work at the house this weekend
I would like to blend Helium in with the Argon supply. I have a bottle that is just Helium for this purpose.
To goal here is to get 25% Helium in with the Argon

What are you all using to blend the mixture of the two gases?
Any one have a snapshot or a link to something that I can order for this purpose?

Let me know what you think,

Adam
Western Enterprises has the fittings you're looking for, Y's with and without valves along with any adapters you may need to complete the setup. Your LWS I'm sure carries their products.
http://westernenterprises.com/where-can-i-buy/
You can also use the Where can I buy page to locate a distributer in your area. You can download the "Industrial Products" catalog to see what you need.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Or, if you're not looking for a precise mixture, you can use the two bottles, two flowmeters, and a tee, and be done with it.

Be aware, that 10CFH helium will barely make the ball begin to dance on an argon flowmeter.

Steve S

Thanks southpaw
Where do I find this Y fitting ?
And......
What would I set the pressure of each tank output to be ?

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otto Nobedder wrote:Or, if you're not looking for a precise mixture, you can use the two bottles, two flowmeters, and a tee, and be done with it.

Be aware, that 10CFH helium will barely make the ball begin to dance on an argon flowmeter.

Steve S
Hi Steve

I haven't shopped yet, BUT are there helium specific flow meters ?

Adam

soutthpaw

Adam Mc Laughlin wrote:Thanks southpaw
Where do I find this Y fitting ?
And......
What would I set the pressure of each tank output to be ?

Adam

You don't set pressure! You set volume, aka flow. You really need 2 ball style flowmeters and a Y or T fitting. One really needs to have flow markings for helium . 15cfh argon and 5cfh helium would be a 75/25 argon helium mix.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Adam Mc Laughlin wrote: Where do I find this Y fitting ?
Good morning, Adam,
I think all of your questions and more can be answered here: this is part 1 of a 2-part series.
http://welding-tv.com/2015/04/14/tig-we ... m-mixture/

To answer your question specifically, you can find most of the parts you need at the Home Deep, in the aisle with high pressure fittings.

Good luck with it, please keep us posted!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
soutthpaw

This is what you are looking for. Can be ha had e with or without valves. http://store.cyberweld.com/weingasyco.html
jauguston
    Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

The "BEST" way is with a Smith/Miller proportional mixer. New they are scary expensive like $1800.00. They are available often on E-Bay for $300.00/400.00. I bought a 4 year old new/unused Smith Argon/CO/2 one locally for $200.00. Guess I really stole it. I am just about done plumbing it up to my Miller Diversion 180. I contacted the Smith division at Miller and confirmed that it works the same with helium as it does with CO/2 .

Jim
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I bought a Y with valves, and a second floating ball regulator at Airgas. I did consume the first tank of helium too fast trying to use a regulator borrowed from my MIG.

So did you get a helium specific regulator from air gas ?

Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

This maybe a silly question but, can you use the helium gas from a party balloon kit... would it be pure helium?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Harry72 wrote:This maybe a silly question but, can you use the helium gas from a party balloon kit... would it be pure helium?
I wouldn't try it.

"Party balloon" helium is often 80% helium, 20% oxygen, because kids think it's cute to inhale the helium and talk.

Steve S
jauguston

For what its worth the Miller/Smith single stage regulator H2051B-580H can be used for Argon - Argon/CO2 mix-or Helium The glass the ball floats in has markings for all three. I am using two of them with my argon/helium Miller/Smith proportional mixer with my Miller Diversion180 converted to a #20 water cooled torch and equipped with a Jattus Tig Perfect Pulser.

Jim
Bill Beauregard

Adam Mc Laughlin wrote:So did you get a helium specific regulator from air gas ?

I did. I think it is good for argon also.
soutthpaw

jauguston wrote:For what its worth the Miller/Smith single stage regulator H2051B-580H can be used for Argon - Argon/CO2 mix-or Helium The glass the ball floats in has markings for all three. I am using two of them with my argon/helium Miller/Smith proportional mixer with my Miller Diversion180 converted to a #20 water cooled torch and equipped with a Jattus Tig Perfect Pulser.

Jim
Then you are doing it wrong. You are supposed to use PSI gauges with Smith mixers. They require 50-110psi depending on your model. It's right there on the tag on back of the mixer. I use a pair of ESAB gauges with mine. Got them for a steal brand new on eBay.
Volume is controlled by the mixer not the gauges in this setup. If the psi is not high enough then your output will be incorrect. Many flowmeter s are 20-45 continuous PSI

Well thank you all for your contributions here

I think I will start with the first project being attempted with a gas " Y " adapter and a bottle of each gas.
See how that goes - might be able to get by on two small repairs on these floor sanders

I will keep my eyes open for a gas mixer though. If I get enough work demand for aluminum projects, this will definitely be on the horizon. Sure would love to catch an opportunity with Craigslist or eBay - these things seem to start at $ 1700

Adam
Bill Beauregard

I have used helium on only a few projects. It is expensive, and isn't often needed. The problem I had was trying to use a regulator borrowed from a MIG. I was consuming helium too fast.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

If you have to use a second cylinder, why not just lease a cylinder with the mix you want and save the added cost of a second flow meter and wye fitting. If you own a second cylinder, get it filled with 75/25- Ar/He and then you know that you're getting the mix you want.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I asked for that - another cylinder with mixed gas in it. My favorite LWS shop told me they couldn't provide it but let me borrow a cylinder for 60 days just to try it out

I know what you mean though - I too would have preferred a specific cylinder just for this purpose

Adam

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Adam,
You can buy an 80cf cylinder ($200 new) and have it filled with whatever non flammable gas or mix that you want. If your local store doesn't fill cylinders you'll need to find one that does. Sometimes with a mix that they don't do they'll send your cylinder out and have it filled. Problem is most places don't want to go out of their way for a small customer. Most larger cylinder fill places should be able to do this, places like Airgas, Praxair, and Matheson.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
jauguston

Southpaw,

You are right and I am wrong! I just got off of the phone with Karen a Smith tech support lady that has been there for 32 years and she confirmed what you said. She sent me the manual for the mixer that makes it clear what you said. Thanks.

Jim
jauguston

Southpaw,

Thanks for the tip on the ESAB regulators on ebay. I grabbed two new ones for $30.00 each. I now have two new floating ball regulators I don't need.

Jim

Hey Jim do you mind sending me a link for the regulators to use at the helium bottles?

Thank you

Adam