Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
88MOOSE88
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

hi all

been a while since my last post, been super busy.

anyway i was removing some pipework from site today and came across a 8" - 6" reducing piece that was no longer needed. i new the welding was good because it was on a caustic acid job, anyway cut a long story short, i was amazed by the welding on this piece of pipe.

since ive seen it i need to know how its done, please help me

could anyone help with how the welder did this.

the pipe is schedule 10s stainless steel, i know its a walk the cup job, stuff like gap, wire size, technique and purge.

all i know is the welders code number "JJ 105" all credit goes to him/her

i have some pictures below, enjoy

thanks
Attachments
my iphone Picture 127.jpg
my iphone Picture 127.jpg (23.39 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
my iphone Picture 126.jpg
my iphone Picture 126.jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
my iphone Picture 125.jpg
my iphone Picture 125.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

I wouldnt presume its walked.it just looks like a regular dab and move root,but expertly welded and purged
Dancing with the blue lady
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It probably was walk. Beveled to a knife edge and then gaped just the way he liked it. Probably used a rod just a little larger than his gap. This also requires that you grind all start and stops. They get feathered down to almost nothing at the end and then you light up back on top of were you started. That way you get some heat started before you get back to the gap. I don't do a lot of sch 10 but the guys in our shop who do lay every root like that. I'm in aww.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

wheresmejumper wrote:I wouldnt presume its walked.it just looks like a regular dab and move root,but expertly welded and purged

Agreed, doesn't look like a walk to be. Looks like good prep, good purge and good GTAW pipe welding skills ;)
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
88MOOSE88
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

I'm sure it was walked, the cap is walked for definite, I didn't take photos of the cap because it was wire brushed with a steel brush so it's got specs of rust on it.

how has he/she got the protrusion on the root? I've tried small and big gaps, high and low amps.

I can get the ripple affect by walking the cup, but I can't get the protrusion on the root, just flat

what sort of amps would you recommend with what gap

cheers
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It was probably no gap beveled to a knife edge with an 1/8 in wire. Not sure about the amp.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Dirtynails
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Looks like a dip-keyhole root. Obviously awesome skill.
Brett Henderson
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

My guess the amps would ne around 100-115
AlexisMachine
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:47 am

I recommend watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvY8X-TOw8w

Best regards,

Alexis