Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

AndersK wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Try your torch without running the coolant through it.
Dont!

My own experience, 5 sec welding without coolant was enough to melt water return...
Didn't do it
Last edited by subwayrocket on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

subwayrocket wrote:.Which one is the power in ?.
The one you have taken off.

AndersK wrote:
subwayrocket wrote:.Which one is the power in ?.
The one you have taken off.
Thanks much. It was shiny and new in there ....moot point now, as it's doing this on both the CK20 and the 17 now . :(

Open the machine and check all connectors you can find between and including mains in and power out. Be carefull around the PCB's though, and disconnect main first.... ;)

AndersK wrote:Open the machine and check all connectors
Thanks man . I thought about doing that , was waiting to hear from Everlast first ...not sure if anything in there void my warranty by opening it . Emailed them 2 weeks ago and again last night. Unfortunately, they are being very slow to get back to me ...not a good sign so far, but we'll see how it goes . I hold an Extra Class amateur radio license and did a bit of everything electric/electronic back when I was in the Army ...so i'm somewhat handy that way .

My manual (Parweld) states the machine should be opened regulary and cleaned carefully with air. Opened mine today while searching for another noise I then found to come from the regulator :lol:

Loose connectors is a probable cause in most electric applications. Always worth checking before calling the service center.

Well, it was during my time in the army I was doing the most stupid things so I usually dont reference that for something good....

haha yeah ...bet you have a lot of good memories of your time served ...and yeah, some reckless things done back when younger and wild !
I'd like to hear from them before I open it up. Thanks man !
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sounds like it almost has to be the machine. Now that you know it's not torch specific.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Still troubleshooting . Checking everything for loose connections. Opened up the 220 plug and gave a slight snug to those connections, nothing loose in there but I was able to give about 1/8 turn to one and about 1/16 turn to the others.
Opened up the welder, didn't find anything loose inside.

I managed to get my phone behind a spare helmet last night, took some arc video running the 20, planned to video the problem occurring ....darned thing didn't do it ! It was getting late and I only welded about six 5" beads on plate. 0.095" plate (same plate batch, same flap disc) AC at 105 amps, 120hz, 35% EP .
Maybe needed to weld longer ...let things warm up and then something opens up ??? idk

On a side note, the construction, wiring, boards and components look pretty good. Looks similar to the inside of my 80's and 90's Mesa (tube) guitar amps. I can upload some pics of the inside if anyone interested.
Will fire it back up later or tomorrow. Hopefully I can get this resolved and post the solution.
And again, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I appreciate it.

was a problem in the grounding cable ...fixed
Last edited by subwayrocket on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sounds like it may be a bad board inside the welder. Is there somewhere you can send it to get it checked out?
I have more questions than answers

Josh