Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
robli67
    Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:35 am

Hello all,
Here is my first question for you all. I am trying to figure out what filler rod to use if I want to join two or three different types of metal together. Say steel, copper, and brass. This is for art type work, not a structural piece.

I think 309L is what I want but wanted to ask.

Cheers,

Rob

I would say Silicon bronze is the best bet for that application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Rule of thumb I got from this site a long time ago.
Red metals (Copper, brass, bronze etc) can be brazed to other materials with Silicon Bronze as already stated above.
The exception is AL, you would use AL Bronze if that were the case I believe but since I have never tried that cant really say since you need to deal with the AL Oxide layer.
robli67
    Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:35 am

Thank you guys. So when I go shopping for the rod do I ask for Silicon Bronze or is there a number like the other filler rod?

Cheers,

Rob
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

This would be a common braze joint on a refrigeration system. I would use 45% silver braze wire. This requires a special flux.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

@robli67 The Silicon Bronze designation is ER-CuSi-A
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.