Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

So to sum up, the same level of gas dispersion, cooler looking not pink, capable of surviving the most frustrated welder.
As you are aware you strengthen one area that just transfers the breakage onto the next more expensive thing its attached to, are you working on a tougher tig handpiece as well? :lol:

Interesting and hopefully for you a lucrative idea, I would love to know what you made these out of, but that would let the cat out of the bag eh.
Does slag/metal from the weld stick to these as it does to the pink ones? (I'm still dipping into the weld)

Good luck getting this to market, hope it goes well
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

ex framie wrote:So to sum up, the same level of gas dispersion, cooler looking not pink, capable of surviving the most frustrated welder.
As you are aware you strengthen one area that just transfers the breakage onto the next more expensive thing its attached to, are you working on a tougher tig handpiece as well? :lol:

Interesting and hopefully for you a lucrative idea, I would love to know what you made these out of, but that would let the cat out of the bag eh.
Does slag/metal from the weld stick to these as it does to the pink ones? (I'm still dipping into the weld)

Good luck getting this to market, hope it goes well
He hasn't dipped his rod in so long he forgets what it feels like :D:D:D:D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Looks pretty promising

Any idea of what market price may be for something like this ?

Adam

707 / 579-9290
Sent from my iPhone
Captngeetch
    Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 pm

That's pretty amazing..i too am wonder what kind of price point you're looking at here..
Captngeetch
    Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Absolutely amazing..not sure I'll be slamming my torch like that lol, but great demonstration of it's durability that's for sure. Love the black color too, sure beats pink. I would guess they could be made in just about any color ? I also would be interested in the price range you are looking at.

J
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

As for price, we have not settled on a final retail price but I can say they will be in line with other specialty cups. They won't be cheap but you are getting a whole lot more than a ceramic cup.
-Jonathan
CrummyWelding
    Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:14 pm

I look forward to getting my hands on a few of these ones they are available for purchase! :)
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Johnathon,
I'm a home welder so I dont do anywhere near the welding the pros do.
I have yet to break a cup, so I am wondering what prompted you to come up with this idea.
Is breaking cup that big an issue?
Just curious.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Pete has a point...

The only times I've shattered cups is when using them almost 100 amps beyond their rated capacity for extended periods.

Shattering cups may be a problem that no one needs solved, and the cups will sell on their appearance alone.

This has crossed my mind before, but, damn, the cups are cool looking, and welding addicts will buy kitch.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I was welding at the top of the ugliest looking water manifold and had to bend in about four different pretzels to get where I needed to weld, just as I got into position, upside down, I dropped my rod. I turned to try and get it while it teetered on a pipe about a foot below my head. I couldn't reach it with that hand because my elbow was hitting the pipe my neck was resting on. I switched hands so I had to drape my torch over the pipe I was welding. I retrieved the rod and when I moved my arm to reach for my torch, it fell 2 stories to the floor shattering the only cup I had on hand for a stubby gas lens that I needed to get in there to weld.

The 4 people that were waiting for me to finish this weld so I could turn the water back on would have gladly paid for one of Jonathan's cups.

But it doesn't happen all that often, unless like Steve said, I'm welding way hot, for a long time. I use a air cooled torch most of the time and I don't want to hold it long enough to get the cup that hot anyway.

But they're cool looking and that's enough for me. I'll be putting in for one when they become available.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Makes me wonder if there might be something similar on the way in the shape of Plasma Cutter cups.

I'm yet to break a TIG cup but I've busted a couple plasma cups. For whatever reason, maybe just the way I'm handling metal while I'm cutting, the plasma torch cops rougher treatment than the TIG torch.

Kym
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Shattered cups are more common than one might think. After releasing those videos I was contacted by 3 welding school Instructors (separate schools) about getting a sample because their kids did nothing but break the cups, mostly from neglect. One Instructor said he goes through an average of 3 cups per day. Now do the math at three cups a day times a school year and than year after year and you find your cost savings. For guys like Len and a few others who have contacted me from this forum it is a "life saver" so to speak if you were to drop the tig torch, which does happen.

As for the question of what prompted me to make this cup, well, I actually started with a large diamater cup and after much talk with a few that are helping with the project, like Roy and Jody, it was decided to start with the most common sizes used for regular welding, #6, #8 and #10 since there are no "high end" cups in this market. In the end these cups will be catered toward the hobbiest and these are the sizes we would use. That is not saying a professional can't of shouldn't use them whatsoever, I just have to choose the best legal path for advertising and covering my assets.

On a very positive note, the cups are performing extremely well and the final prototypes (I hope) are machined and waiting to be tested and then a few will be sent out for beta testing. A few here were chosen to do some of the field testing so you can expect some honest reviews in the future. In the end I want a quality product for the market it was intended for and will spend all the time necessary in testing before I release a product with my logo on them.
-Jonathan
Mikechallgren
    Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 pm

...So, here you are (on WT&T forum) with a very good product for all. This is going to go over good for you Jonathan and I'm happy for you. You do a lot of good for the welding community, and I speak for me personally.
Mike the wire airplane guy http://www.wiresculptor.net
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Jonathan -

Glad to hear development is coming along well. As for beta testing, I think it's vital that some of this is done in Australia. Otherwise, how will you ever know if the cups function properly upside down? :roll:

Kym
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The ones i break are always from dropping or from when I throw it over the pipe and it hits the vice or a stand. I thought this was unimportant but your post made me realize that in a school setting a high end cup like this will probably be a money saver on consumables.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jonathan, I wasn't intentionally trying to be negative. I was just in Devil's Advocate mode from my own work experience, and for a rare minute not in a good mood. (It's been a hell of a week, and I don't normally let life get to me, so I'm sorry if at any point I came off as an ass.)

If that thing is available in a #10 for a -9 torch, I'm certainly on board. I very rarely weld DC above about 120A, and more commonly around 80, but the biggest cup I have for my -9 torch is a #8. That's damn frustrating, sometimes.

Steve S
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i have broken my share right in my shop under perfect conditions.
torch slips out of the holder or i just plan
suffer from "the galloping stupids and miss
the holder by a foot.
my name is craig and i brake cups.....
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:Jonathan -

Glad to hear development is coming along well. As for beta testing, I think it's vital that some of this is done in Australia. Otherwise, how will you ever know if the cups function properly upside down? :roll:

Kym
Lol
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Like others my breakage is from pushing the limits or smacking them or dropping them. For me it would be a little extra insurance, I hate climbing down from rigging to go get a cup when I accidentally drop the torch or smack it on some pipe. I know it seems when I break one its always at the worst time. I recently did this when the torch slipped out of my hand off some scafolding, smacking the railing. I had to get down, walk all the way across the plant to my supply locker and grab another cup so I had to keep a production line down another 15 mins. Time is money especially when your doing a repair. I'm also excited to see how it works with walking the cup...you can destroy a reg cup after a good bit of walking even with a light touch.

So for your next idea how about an adjustable cup say #6-#12 :mrgreen:
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

MosquitoMoto wrote:Jonathan -

Kym
Dude... I just shot a fry out my nose

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-