Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jmn
  • jmn
    Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am

Does anyone have experience tig welding 01 to 01 or A2 to A2 tool steel, unhardened?

I would like to make some specialized socket handle style woodworking chisels and would like to weld the socket handle portion to the 1/4" thick flat stock rather than machining the whole tool from a large piece of bar stock.

What is a good filler rod and a good pre-heat temp and cool-down procedure?

Thanks
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

I've tried welding 0-1 and it didn't work. It breaks easily. I haven't tried welding it and then annealing after welding, but that might work. Welding is going to make it very hard in the HAZ and it will break. I checked on the correct filler wire for welding 0-1 and it was very expensive.

I have welded quite a bit if A2, but it was only build up in wear areas. I use a air hardening rod, but this is not welding 2 pieces together, just build up on a worn part.

I'll be watching this to see what answers you get.
Freddie
Cricket
    Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 pm

I've done A2. 3/32 A2 wire for the filler and very high temp preheat (450°C +). Right after the welding the piece goes into annealing oven for full annealing cycle.
O1 will be more difficult because it has higher quench distortion than A2.
Last edited by Cricket on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I would call and talk to a tech at Weld Mold, they've been helpful for me in the past and seem very knowledgeable.

http://www.weldmold.com/
Richard
Website