Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nathannamaya
    Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Hey guys! I've got a job that requires me to weld cast steel. I know it's not like welding cast iron where you need a pre heat and post heat and all the other preparation it requires, but would there be any other precautions I would need to take to ensure a proper weld and excellent strength?
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Correct pre and post heat isn't required. I typically use 309L filler, and some times do a torch pass over to help get some of the crap out of the casting. Once you get the filler to flow its smooth sailing, usually welds pretty nice.

What are you welding?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Nathannamaya

Would 308L work fine?
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Nathannamaya wrote:Would 308L work fine?
Nope, too low in NI content. 308L rod is made for 3xx based stainless base materials.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Nathannamaya

Alright, I'll be sure to pick some up! Thanks for all of the info! Very helpful!