Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
abianco37772
    Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Hello, I'm thinking about putting together a scratch start tig rig as a gift for my brother this christmas. I can get my hands on an AC stick machine for $50 so I'm wondering; is it necessary to build a rectifier? What's the beef with tig welding carbon steel using AC? Does it have to be DCEN? Why?
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Rectifier? Yes.

DCEN why? Direction of current flow. On DCEP the current will flow from the base metal to the tungsten.
Translation, the heat will build up in the tungsten and melt it away.

It isn't all that hard to build a rectifier.
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

The situation you run into when TIG welding in alternating current is the arc wanting to extinguish when the polarity switches from negative to positive. This is why you see high frequency built into TIG welders to prevent the arc from extinguishing.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

You'll be money ahead to just find an AC/DC welder for about $200 in my opinion.

Then buy a torch and flow meter, about $125 and $35, and you're all set.

Sometimes it doesn't really pay to tinker in my opinion - cool idea for a gift :)

Side note, the ESAB 161 is a very nice stick/tig package.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.