Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Vanwill
    Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Just received my welder from Everlast. As I'm about to attach the plug to it, I see this odd marking on two of the input wires. The White and the Black have an adhesive tag attached which reads "1 X 220VAC". That seems to indicate that the "hot" 240VAC leads from circuit breaker box should be attached to the Black and the White wires. This is not the NEC standard. In this country the "hot" leads would be across the Black and the Red wires coming from the welder, the White would be the Neutral, and Green the ground. I'm about to wire it up using the standard way--Red and Black are 240VAC across them, 120VAC from either Red or Black to the neutral White, and Green is ground. But I gotta admit I'm about scared to plug it in when those two factory stickers seem to be saying the 220VAC should be across the Black and White wires from the welder. Anybody seen this before? Nothing online I can find.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

That's normal on a 220 3 wire circuit. The black and white on the plug are hot and green is ground. Black goes into one leg of the 220 breaker,white into the other, and the green goes to the ground. There is no neutral on a 220 3 wire hookup.

If you want, you can always run black red and green from the breaker box and just tape the over white lead in the plug with red tape.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

I agree with delraydella. If your machine has a red wire, it is typically used as a "hot" for a 3 phase hook-up. I believe your machine is a dual phase machine. If so, just cap off the red wire and disregard.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
Vanwill
    Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks for your replies. Yes, this is a single phase/three phase machine. Had it come with only black, white and green, it would have been obvious. Some days you're just born to be dumb. Thanks again.