Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Defender Chassis
    Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:44 pm

What do you do with the left over TIG filler stubs after you are done with a project? I always lay them on the front of my welder to wait for their next opportunity to stick something together. The problem with that is they inevitably end up on the floor somewhere behind the welder. The link below is a short video on how I solved the problem. If you like it please give it a thumbs up and if you are interested in seeing more please feel free to subscribe to my channel.

https://youtu.be/DdqtDD9WoI8

Thanks for watching,
Scott
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Nice idea...but those are stubs?

My stubs are only about an inch long!

Kym
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Schit can 'em!
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:Nice idea...but those are stubs?

Kym
I thought I was getting warm fingers at 3" long stubs.. Your fingers must be toasty at 1" Kym!

Nice concept though Scott. :)
ignatz200
    Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:01 pm

What I mainly weld is relatively small sculpture work made up of bits of this and that. So issues of penetration, oxide coatings and a host of other bug-a-boos that haunt us all when we consider a welded join for construction purposes just don't mean a lot.

Therefore, I save all my cast-off ends and then when the pile is large enough I take a mild moment and spot weld the suckers back together into useable rod lengths.

But don't get me wrong. If I'm working on something where the weld has to be right I reach for fresh, untouched tig filler rod every time. ;)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

OzFlo wrote:

Kym
I thought I was getting warm fingers at 3" long stubs.. Your fingers must be toasty at 1" Kym!

Nice concept though Scott. :)
decrease your torch angle from the vertical and tighten up your arc length. It's all technique. ;)
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Kym
Does this make me cheap then :mrgreen:
IMG_20151225_36386.jpg
IMG_20151225_36386.jpg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I think it's funny to see that after a person welds for a profit and on things for others you realize that there is a trade off between fast, cheap, and quality. In the grand scheme of things filler metal is probably your cheapest input to end cost. Except on rare materials.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:I think it's funny to see that after a person welds for a profit and on things for others you realize that there is a trade off between fast, cheap, and quality. In the grand scheme of things filler metal is probably your cheapest input to end cost. Except on rare materials.
Good point Josh,
I would also add that not everyone sees thru the same window of life...so to speak. I've seen TIG welders throw away 8 inch "stubs". Some waste and some conserve. Some go overboard, some don't go far enough.
Still I understand your point of view and agree.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

My company made me take "sensitivity training", and I'm just not comfortable with being asked where I stick my stubs...

:lol: :roll:

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

That depends on where you do actually stick your stubs. I can't see why you couldn't admit to sticking them in the bin :)
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

sometime ill take the stubs (longer ones) and shape
them into an S to hang small painted parts to dry.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

I try to save anything around 6" or more . They are nice for tacking stuff. Somehow my stubs always seem to end up in the wrong place ...or dumping out on the floor . Wish I had a better answer, I hate to waste .