Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

I am trying to figure out what is the right sized cable cover for a CK200 water-cooled torch w/ 25 ft. superflex cables. Will the torch cables fit a 3 in. x 22 ft. zippered nylon cover?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

200sd,
I have not bought a cable cover in a very long time but I do believe that the one I have covering my CK200 torch is as you stated, a 22" x 3" zippered nylon cover. Like I said, it's been a long time and if somebody says otherwise it was not my intention to mislead you. They last a long time if they're cared for.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah, the 3" will fit the superflex hoses. I like to straighten out the hoses and wrap with electric tape (not too tightly as it's easy to restrict the flow on sperflex hoses) every couple feet to keep 'em together and organized while zipping up the cover.

Steve S

I just picked up a new 3x22 cable cover when I stopped to pay my lease on my cylinders, $33 for a nylon zipper Profax cover,that's less than I payed 15 years ago.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I realize this is an old thread but this is what I found doing a search. I am also looking for a cover for my CK 20 water cooled torch with Super flex cables.

I was kind of shocked at the prices of these things. I was thinking of leather at first but nylon is not much cheaper.

Who has the best prices, and which material is the way to go?

Braehill, your LWS wouldn't by chance be the Airgas in Murrysville would it?
Brian

Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
Everlast 255EXT with W300 cooler
Hobo Freight 170 MIG Welder
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I have the Miller covers which I got a good deal on from my MRO supplier at work. 3" is correct..
http://www.amazon.com/TIG-Welding-Torch ... B00B1HLET2
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Greco Gas, in Tarentum. I found a guy on Ebay selling leather ones for less than I paid for the nylon one. I'll post his name later when I'm at my home computer.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Thanks Braehill! That is kind of what I was hoping for. Thought maybe somebody's Grandma was sewing these up in her basement and selling them. Kind of like the lady I found on FB that I bought a few welding hats from :lol:
Brian

Rick_H wrote:I have the Miller covers which I got a good deal on from my MRO supplier at work. 3" is correct..
http://www.amazon.com/TIG-Welding-Torch ... B00B1HLET2
Rick the cover in that link kind of looks like the covers that came with the torches, that came with my machine. They are real thin fabric and I don't see how they would hold up long.
Brian

Here's the link for the ebay vender.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/clearcutservice ... 2749.l2754

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Thanks Braehill! Those look pretty nice. I guess yours is holding up well?

Brian
Brian

Brian,
I actually just got a 2 pack a couple of weeks ago and haven't even got to use them yet. I installed one and the other is still sitting on my workbench. Seems well made though for the price.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I went with an Anchor Brand Cable Cover CC-3-22 that was $35.00. I got it from Mississippi Welders Supply about 2 years ago. I just searched there site for it, but it seems to not be listed anymore.

Doing a Google search, and it is looking like CC-3-22 is the generic part # for a 3 in. x 22 ft. nylon cable cover with a zipper.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There's a down side to the nylon cover....

If you use it in the same place as GMAW, SMAW, plasma or torch cutting, you will burn it with spatter/slag/dross, and it will invariably melt at the zipper. This means you will cut it off and replace it if you have to service a torch line or replace an entire lead set.

The leather one with the snaps is a PITA to install and remove, but you get to use it at least twice.

Steve S

The ones that I got have Velcro the full length. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to put it on. I'd suggest you have somewhere to stretch the hoses out or have someone keep them untangled as you go. I didn't do either and it was a PITA for sure.

I haven't melted a zipper yet but my oldest one does have a few holes melted in it. It's got quite a few miles on it though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Otto Nobedder wrote:There's a down side to the nylon cover....

If you use it in the same place as GMAW, SMAW, plasma or torch cutting, you will burn it with spatter/slag/dross, and it will invariably melt at the zipper. This means you will cut it off and replace it if you have to service a torch line or replace an entire lead set.

The leather one with the snaps is a PITA to install and remove, but you get to use it at least twice.

Steve S
When I was deciding on a cable cover, I definitely weighed the pros and cons between a leather and nylon cable cover. Having spent $35 for the nylon cable cover, if it gets damaged I won't be out much; and will end up swapping out covers then if this does happen. I picked up the nylon cover due to its inexpensiveness, and to protect my cables to get me in the water cooled tig game.
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

Another option is braided nylon or a high heat type of braided cable housing. Right now I am using the braided nylon cover on my Miller with the 280 amp water cooled torch. Im lucky that all most all my work is with tig. No cutting torches either. Mostly a trial too see how it holds up. after 6 months now its doing pretty good. Only down side is you have to take your hoses off of your machine to install it. I went with three layers.

Here is the website of the manufacturer. http://www.techflex.com/land_genpurp.asp
Attachments
12067368_10153099461212681_2105549355_n.jpg
12067368_10153099461212681_2105549355_n.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

Skylineauto wrote:Another option is braided nylon or a high heat type of braided cable housing. Right now I am using the braided nylon cover on my Miller with the 280 amp water cooled torch. Im lucky that all most all my work is with tig. No cutting torches either. Mostly a trial too see how it holds up. after 6 months now its doing pretty good. Only down side is you have to take your hoses off of your machine to install it. I went with three layers.

Here is the website of the manufacturer. http://www.techflex.com/land_genpurp.asp
This stuff looks nice! Not real bulky either.
Brian

hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I found one guy here or on the Welding Web forum that was selling take-off covers from some business that didn't want the leather velcro closed covers.
22' cover ran me about what the nylon ones listed here are going for.

Ok, a bit of searching and I found the link. One of the WW admins 7A749 had pointed me to a guy named Jim at clearcutservices@yahoo.com who was selling them.
I have no idea if he has any currently, but I bought a cover, and a piece of two ought ground lead for $60 shipped.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Divide the width by pi (3.14) to get the inside diameter to see if all your hoses and cables will fit

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos

Found this searching through the link skyline auto posted. Looks reasonably priced and may do the trick.

https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=sdn
Brian

@hey_allen,
That's the same folks I bought mine from, I just found them on Ebay. The link I listed is for their Ebay store.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
AdVirMachina
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Look up flat tubular webbing. REI has 1" for 36¢ a foot.

Irving, TX. Epicenter of the Metroplex!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I measured my leather covers a while back, and they were like 3.5" or 3.75" in total width, but then again, these were not zippered and I think need the extra width because the velcro-sections overlap each other, consuming some of the width.
AdVirMachina
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Ok, strapworks.com has 2" for 60¢ a foot. This is measured across the flat, so if you cut it and laid it out, it would be 6 1/4" or so.

Irving, TX. Epicenter of the Metroplex!