Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
scenarioL113
    Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Hello,

I have been MIG welding for over 5 years and recently got a Thermal Arc 95s TIG setup. I got it from a friend for $150 and it was unused. I am just a hobbyist and would like to TIG. I want to get a better machine in the very near future but figured I could play around for a while with this one.

I have spent weeks reading online Tips and watched countless videos that others have graciously provided. I have been TIG welding and I think its is a wonderful process and I love how you can really lay some bead on thin stuff. I must admit I am lousy at it right now but hopefully with many hours at the bench I will get better. It is not easy.

I seem to have a problem with not being able to get a puddle going on fillet welds. It seem like there is a fine line with too many AMPS and too little AMPS. When I seem to not have enough amps I spend time heating the metal to get the puddle started and then it burns through. If I turn the amps up I seem to burn through quick but the puddle does form quicker.... I dont know if I am even making sense!

My little machine does not have any option for a foot pedal control so it seems limited. Is there any thing I could do to make my practice a bit more better for my learning process?

I am sure it is ME that is the problem.

Thanks

Frank V
Frank, Massapequa Park, NY
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

I will tell you what I told someone else not long ago. Don't try to weld very thin material for a start. It is VERY hard to weld thin stuff. You really have know what to look for. Get some 3mm- 1/8 thick stuff and go from there. That way it wont burn though as quickly so you can concentrate on welding. You may need to have your electrode sticking out a bit further than for butt welds so you can get closer to the joint.

Good Luck

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Hellow 113

You may want to add your location to your sig.

There may be someone close to you that is willing to give you help in person.

Regards: M J Mauer, Andover, Ohio
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

A fillet weld on a T joint might be tougher because it takes some heat to get both plates molten. There is a lot of heat sink happening. I would think practicing on a lap or butt joint might be easier. You would really have to wash some metal around to get things flowing on a T joint. Sometimes melting a bit of filler into the joint at the start will help things along.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
scenarioL113
    Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks, ALL good advice. I am gonna play with the TIG for an hr or so before work tonite, Thanks!
Frank, Massapequa Park, NY